A fusion of Asian flavors, you are going to love this modern spin on the Vietnamese classic made with fresh mango, creamy avocado and juicy pulled pork.
Fresh rolls have got to be, hands down, one of my favorite no-cook dinners in the summer. Even though they appear to be time intensive, you never have to turn on the oven or stand by the stove which is always a plus this time of year.
Typically, I make these with pre-cooked shrimp but recently I had leftover Asian BBQ Pulled Pork to use up so I decided to give them a spin..er..roll. Ripe avocado and sweet mango balanced out the tangy, slightly spicy pork in ways your mouth could never imagine.
People often tell me they love fresh rolls but are afraid to make them at home. Admittedly, they take a little practice (I’ve been rolling them since I was 5 years old!) BUT, the biggest tip is to avoid over-soaking the rice paper in the warm water.
An easy trick to remember is to think of the round sheet as a steering wheel and hold it in both hands with the bottom half dipped in the warm water. Working clockwise, move the wheel around one time then move to a plate to fill and roll. If you soak them for more than 5-6 seconds, they will tear and you’ll get frustrated and potentially start crying. And we don’t want that to happen, do we?
You can do it.
No forks required.
Fresh Rolls with Pulled Pork, Mango and Avocado
- 12 spring roll rice paper wrappers
- 2 cups leftover Asian BBQ Pulled Pork (or shredded chicken)
- 1 mango (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 avocado (pitted and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- Boil 8 cups of water and keep warm.
- Whisk together dipping sauce and set aside.
- To soften the rice paper, fill a shallow pie plate with boiling water. Add one rice paper at a time and soak for 5 seconds then move to a plate to fill and roll. (Careful not to over-soak!)
- Working from the center of the roll, add a couple tablespoons of shredded pork then top with a little shredded cabbage, two avocado slices, two mango slices and a few cilantro sprigs.
- Fold in the sides then bring bottom up over the filling and tuck while rolling tightly.
- Place on a platter seam side down and continue rolling remaining 11 sheets.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with reserved dipping sauce.