Cheesy brown rice, black beans and fresh salsa make the perfect bed for fried eggs. Fresh cilantro and chopped scallions add a burst of flavor.
Do you ever create a meal spur of the moment and realize after the first bite it’s one of the best things you’ve eaten in a long time? My Fried Eggs with Cheesy Brown Rice, Beans and Salsa is just that and let me tell you – I am so excited for you to try this easy dish!
As I’ve mentioned before, every week I make a large batch of whole grains in my favorite rice cooker that my dad gave me over 20 years ago. If I’m making brown rice, I’ll use half for dinner that night (typically a stir-fry) and save the rest to use throughout the week.
My husband is not a fan of Mexican food (don’t get me started) so this dish was a recent lunch time creation. In fact, I heated the rice, beans and cheese right in the microwave to save myself from dirtying a pan!
Please, please, please get crazy with this one. Add chopped avocado if you have it on hand. Season the rice with cumin, smoked paprika or garlic powder. Splash the finished dished with a little cholula hot sauce.
The world is your oyster your fork is waiting.
Fried Eggs with Cheesy Brown Rice, Beans and Salsa
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup scallions chopped
- Spray a large frying pan with non-stick spray (or a little olive oil) and heat brown rice and black beans over medium heat until warmed through – about 2-3 minutes.
- When the rice and bean mixture is hot, sprinkle the cheese on top and cover pan with a lid to melt cheese.
- Meanwhile, fry eggs working in batches in a separate frying pan.
- When you’re ready to assemble, divide cheesy rice and bean mixture evenly between four plates. Top with salsa, two fried eggs and a sprinkle of cilantro and scallions.