Don’t get me wrong, I love my new stove. It is shiny and beautiful, boils water in minutes and keeps my pans scorching hot. It is great. I love it. But, I love my grill just a little bit more. Why? Grilling is the ideal cooking method for a quick, healthy and delicious meal that requires little to no clean up. No dishes = happy husband. And, let’s be honest, if we are grilling, that usually means it’s not snowing outside. Nice.
Grilling fish can be a bit intimidating. You may worry the fish will fall apart or won’t be able to withstand the high heat. My Garlicky Lemon Fish Packets are the perfect solution for fool-proof grilling.
This recipe is extremely versatile and virtually fool-proof. Can’t find tilapia? Substitute any mild white fish such as orange roughy, cod or snapper. Don’t have the exact veggies I’ve chosen to use? This dish works well with everything from red onions to asparagus to cherry tomatoes to zucchini. Let the farmer’s market guide you. Forgot fresh parsley? Grab some basil from the garden. Want to throw in some potatoes? Be my guest. No lemon juice? White wine works just as well. When combining fresh fish and seasonal veggies with a few fresh herbs, garlic and lemon juice you are pretty much guaranteed a moist and flavorful meal. Not a bad deal considering there is no oil required. And it is Summer afterall, we might as well look good in our bathing suits while we’re at it – yes?
It’s time to fire up the grill.
Your fork is waiting.
Lemon Garlic Tilapia Fish Packets
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 c green beans cut in 1 in. pieces
- 1 medium summer squash I used kousa
- 1 juice of lemon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tilapia filets
- ¼ c fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat grill on high.
- Tear our 4 pieces of foil and lay two pieces on top of one another.
- Spray center of foil with a little non-stick cooking spray to prevent the fish from sticking.
- In a medium bowl, combine onion slices, green beans and summer squash.
- Add juice of 1 lemon, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Season tilapia filets with salt and pepper on each side and place each portion in center of the foil.
- Top each piece of fish with equal parts of the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top of the vegetables before sealing.
- Bring the two wide ends of the foil together and fold to seal.
- Gently fold in the smaller ends of the packet and continue to fold until tightly secured. Leave a bit of room in the packet for steam to form.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes, turning once.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon juice before serving.