If you celebrate Meatless Monday, follow a vegetarian diet or simply want to save money and calories by eating less meat, my Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans is for you!
Feel free to experiment with various leafy greens such as spinach or kale. No cannelini beans? Navy or chick peas would work perfectly. The options are endless.
Your fork is waiting.
Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans
- 8 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 bunch swiss chard stems removed and finely chopped keep stems!
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ½ tsp chili flakes optional
- 2 cloves garlic grated with microplane
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can cannelini beans drained and rinsed
- fresh parsley and basil optional
- parmesan cheese to serve
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Note: For al dente pasta, cook one minute less than package suggests.)
- Reserve ½ c starchy cooking liquid before straining pasta; set pasta aside. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in the same pot you cooked the pasta over medium-high heat.
- Add Swiss chard stems and a good pinch of salt.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes until stems start to soften.
- Add in roughly chopped Swiss chard leaves and reserved cooking liquid.
- Put cover on the pan and let steam to wilt about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chili flakes, garlic, tomatoes and beans. Cook for 5 minutes to warm through.
- Toss in reserved pasta. Serve with fresh parsley, basil and parmesan cheese.