Life is too short for boring salads. And as you’ve probably noticed, I’m mildly obsessed with salads. Grain salads such as my Greek Style Farro are especially wonderful because they actually get better with age! As a mom of a crawling 9 month old, it is nice to have a lunch option that won’t wilt after a 20 minutes.
Farro is a delicious whole grain that I encourage you to try if you haven’t before. Chewy and nutty, it provides some real “meat” to a salad. It also happens to be extremely nutritious:
- Protein Rich: Each 1/2 c serving provides 7 grams of protein. When combined with legumes, it forms a complete protein. (Throw in garbanzo beans for a complete meal.)
- Full of Nutrients: Farro is full of vitamins and minerals including Vitamin B, immune-boosting magnesium and Vitamin E.
- Great Source Fiber: Each 1/2 c serving provides 3.5 g fiber (as compared to 2 g in quinoa of 1.8 in brown rice.)
- Low Calorie: It’ll only cost you 100 calories to consumer a filling 1/2 c portion of farro.
Your fork is waiting.
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 5 jumbo kalamata olives pits removed & minced
- 1 ounce crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup scallions minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- 1 Zest and juice of lemon
Prepare farro according to package directions and set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste although I didn't need any salt due to the olives and cheese.
Similar to pasta, if you want flavorful farro, you must salt the cooking water.)