Growing up, my mother would often have slices of apples and sharp cheddar cheese waiting for me and my sisters after school. This tasty combination is the ideal mid-day snack because it is slow to digest and doesn’t cause a blood sugar spike.
Even better? It tastes delicious. Today’s recipe pays tribute to this childhood memory in the form of a lunchtime classic: the grilled cheese. For added nutrition and flavor I have added creamy dijon mustard and crunchy kohlrabi slices.
If you’ve never tried kohlrabi before, I encourage you to pick up this tasty member of the turnip family at your local farm stand or grocer. Despite it’s somewhat alien-like appearance, it tastes just like a cross between broccoli and cabbage. In my opinion, it tastes a lot like the broccoli stem! Kohlrabi is delicious roasted, stir-fried or served raw with hummus or dip. The subtle bitterness and crunch makes it a great new addition to your vegetable repertoire. Not yet convinced? Here are a few of the many health benefits of kohlrabi:
- Vitamin C: Just 1 cup provides 100% of the daily requirement for Vitamin C.
- High in Fiber: A one cup serving provides 5 grams of fiber.
- Boosts Iron Absorption: The Vitamin C found in kohlrabi helps the body absorb iron.
- Low Calorie: One cup raw has only 36 calories.
See? Now you don’t have to feel guilty about slathering your sandwich with extra butter.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Cheese with Apples, Dijon and Kohlrabi
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4 tbs dijon mustard
- 8 slices sharp cheddar deli style
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1/2 kohlrabi stems removed thinly sliced
- softened butter or olive oil spread
- Lay out bread slices side-by-side on a work surface and spread half of the slices with a tablespoon of mustard each.
- Top all 8 pieces of bread with a slice sharp cheddar.
- Next, add a few slices of apple and kohlrabi to half of the pieces.
- Take the slices with cheese only and place on top of the apple pieces.
- Butter both sides of the bread to your liking and grill in batches with a panini press.
- Once browned, remove from press and serve.
- Alternatively, cook on a non-stick pan over medium heat until browned (about 2-3 minutes per side.)