Grilled flank steak is marinated and drizzled with a fresh and fragrant chimichurri sauce packed with cilantro, garlic and oregano.
The countdown to the 2016 Summer Olympics is fully underway so to celebrate I’ve partnered once again with Kroger to share an energy-packed healthy recipe to fuel your little olympians at home!
This Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is not only protein-packed and high in nutrients but it is also inspired by South America, home to the 2016 Olympic Games. If you’re not familiar with chimichurri sauce, it stems from Argentina but is made all throughout South America and Mexico.
Making it couldn’t be easier. You simply puree together fresh herbs like cilantro, oregano and parsley with olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and chili flakes in a food processor or blender until smooth. Ideal as a sauce on top of any grilled meat, I decided to use it as both a marinade and a topping for this super tender and juicy grilled flank steak.
It was a huge hit at a recent BBQ I hosted for friends and is sure to be a regular menu item all summer long. Ideal for using up fresh herbs growing in the garden, you can prepare the chimichurri sauce up to 7 days in advance to save time during meal time.
If you can’t find flank steak in your local Kroger meat department, feel free to substitute any of their Simple Truth meat products including pork tenderloin, flat iron steak or sirloin steak.
What are your favorite grilling marinades?? I’d love to hear from you!
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- 20 ounce flank steak
- 1/2 cup canola or olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Start by pureeing the chimichurri sauce in a blender or food processor by adding all ingredients and pureeing until smooth (oil through chili flakes).
- Reserve half of the sauce for serving and place the remaining half in a large, resealable plastic bag. Add the flank steak to the bag and marinade for 30 minutes or up to overnight
- To cook, heat grill over high heat and remove the flank steak from the bag. While grill is heating, let the steak come to room temperature before placing on the hot grill.
- Grill steak over high heat for 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or more or less to taste.
- Let steak rest 10 minutes before slicing on the bias and serving with reserved chimichurri sauce.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be an ambassador for Kroger. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more great grilling recipes check out my Pinterest board!