Grilled radicchio pairs with charred sweet corn, salty queso fresco, bright lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil to create this delicious summer salad.
As a huge foodie, it probably doesn’t surprise you that I’m a HUGE fan of ABC’s The Chew. No lie, I DVR the daytime talk show every single day. Unlike most daytime talk shows, I love the fact that they are real. They crack jokes, tease one another, flirt with guests, and aren’t afraid to be a little politically incorrect from time to time.
If you’ve never watched The Chew before, I highly recommend checking it out. Not only is it full of countless cooking tips but Clinton Kelly adds snark and sassiness that keeps you watching for more. Oh and if you think that Mario Batali listens to Daphne go on and on about psyllium husks without poking fun of her, you’re dead wrong. He calls her out on it and it’s hilarious. Check out this latest episode on Hulu that aired Tuesday, July 9th. If you’re a fan of Chopped or Iron Chef, you’ll love the guest of the day: Chef Jeffrey Geoffrey Zakarian.
Needless to say, when the opportunity came my way to create recipe inspired by the show, I was immediately on board. While I would eat anything Mario put in front of me, I have a special place in my heart for Daphne Oz’s recipe and health tips. The daughter of heart surgeon Dr. Oz, it is no surprise that she lives a healthy life focused on whole foods. Additionally, Daphne and I were both overweight children who didn’t reach a healthy weight until our adult lives.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Radicchio Salad with Queso Fresco
- Pre-heat grill on high heat and lightly brush radicchio with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Place radicchio on grill, cut side down, as well as corn.
- Grill radicchio until it begins to wilt, about 3 minutes per side.
- Grill corn for 2 minutes per side, until kernels are slightly charred.
- To assemble salad, place radicchio halves on a large platter.
- Carefully cut corn kernels off the cob with a serrated knife into a small bowl. Toss corn together with remaining olive oil, lime juice, queso fresco, scallions and salt/pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle corn and cheese mixture on top of the grilled radicchio to serve.