The sun is shining, flowers are sprouting, birds are chirping and my baby is already the size of a mango! Life is good. This recipe is a twist off one of my favorite snacks: mango slices drizzled with fresh lime juice and a touch of sea salt. In college I went on one of those infamous Cancun vacations with a big group of friends. Every morning at about 11am, a man would walk the beach selling mango slices with lime juice and salt – a perfect ocean-side snack. Today I decided to make it dinner-worthy by punching it up with fresh cilantro, red chili pepper and red onions. Feel free to kick the heat level up a notch and experiment with various chili peppers.
My favorite part about this meal is that it looks like the rainbow on your plate: red from the chilis, orange/yellow from the mango, green from the cilantro and purple from the red onion. You are filling your body with a host of nutrients including Vitamins C and A from the mango, Vitamin C from the lime juice and of course capsaicin from the chili peppers. (To learn more about the health benefits of capsaicin – check out Asian Veggie Slaw post!)
Your grill is waiting.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mango Salsa
- 48 medium sized shrimp raw ,peeled and deveined
- canola oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 16 bamboo skewers
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1/2 c red onion minced
- 1/2 c cilantro chopped
- 1 red chili pepper minced
- 1 Juice of lime
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to high - this could take up to 10 minutes. The key to grilling seafood is a very hot grill.
- To prepare skewers, thread 4 shrimp per skewer and brush with canola oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When grill is hot, cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side. Do not over cook the shrimp!
- Meanwhile, prepare salsa by combining all ingredients (mango through lime juice) in a medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salsa along side grilled shrimp.