This grilled shrimp skewers with mango salsa recipe is the perfect appetizer for your next barbecue that can be prepared in minutes.
The sun is shining, flowers are sprouting, birds are chirping and my baby is already the size of a mango! Life is good. This recipe is a twist off one of my favorite snacks: mango slices drizzled with fresh lime juice and a touch of sea salt. In college I went on one of those infamous Cancun vacations with a big group of friends. Every morning at about 11am, a man would walk the beach selling mango slices with lime juice and salt – a perfect ocean-side snack. Today I decided to make it dinner-worthy by punching it up with fresh cilantro, red chili pepper and red onions. Feel free to kick the heat level up a notch and experiment with various chili peppers.
My favorite part about this meal is that it looks like the rainbow on your plate: red from the chilis, orange/yellow from the mango, green from the cilantro, and purple from the red onion. You are filling your body with a host of nutrients including Vitamins C and A from the mango, Vitamin C from the lime juice, and of course capsaicin from the chili peppers. (To learn more about the health benefits of capsaicin – check out Asian Veggie Slaw post!)
Your grill is waiting.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mango Salsa
- 48 medium sized shrimp raw ,peeled and deveined
- canola oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 16 bamboo skewers
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- ½ c red onion minced
- ½ c cilantro chopped
- 1 red chili pepper minced
- 1 Juice of lime
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to high – this could take up to 10 minutes. The key to grilling seafood is a very hot grill.
- To prepare skewers, thread 4 shrimp per skewer and brush with canola oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When grill is hot, cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side. Do not over cook the shrimp!
- Meanwhile, prepare salsa by combining all ingredients (mango through lime juice) in a medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salsa along side grilled shrimp.