If you love baking but also love fitting into your skinny jeans, buttermilk is your friend. Buttermilk is one of my ultimate secret weapons for healthy baking. Despite what the name suggests, buttermilk is actually very low in calories: one cup only has 98 calories and provides 28% of your daily requirement for calcium. Similar to pure pumpkin, it is a great alternative to butter and oil to add moisture to pancakes, muffins, breads and more.
Your family is waiting.
Healthy Banana Muffins
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin baking sheet with paper wrappers or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, wisk together dry ingredients (whole wheat pastry flour through baking powder); set aside.
- In a large bowl, wisk together mashed bananas, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into the wet to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin cups – about ¾ full.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts evenly on top of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire wrack. These freeze well!