Full of protein and ready in 3 minutes, this healthy breakfast sandwich is perfect for busy mornings and the ideal breakfast to-go.
The McDonald’s Egg McMuffin has a special place in my heart. When my sisters and I were little, my Aunt Paula and Uncle Randy would move in with us while my parents went on vacation. On his day off from the postal service, my Uncle would head out to McDonald’s while our lazy bums were still sleeping.
If you’ve never woken to the smell of a McDonald’s breakfast that someone else got for you, you haven’t lived.
Fortunately, my aunt and uncle no longer babysit and I make my own version of this fast food classic. Here is how I made a Liz McMuffin:
- Whole Grains: Sub white flour English muffin with a sprouted whole grain English muffin full of protein and fiber.
- 2nd Egg White: For just 7 extra calories, I throw in an extra egg white adding 3.6 g of protein to my breakfast. (Don’t skip the whole egg – yolks contain loads of minerals and nutrients that you won’t get from egg whites alone!)
- Swap Tomatoes for Cheese: Tomatoes are full of nutrients and antioxidants. Speaking of, did you hear the recent news about lycopene?
- Vegetarian Sausage: Do you love breakfast meat? Of course you do. If you haven’t tried Morning Star Farm’s vegetarian products, I urge you to try their classic breakfast sausage patties. My husband loves them. LOVES them. And I can assure you he isn’t trying to flatter me.
No fork required.
- 1 whole grain English muffin toasted such as Ezekiel
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg white
- 1 vegetarian sausage patty such as Morning Star Farms
- 2 slices tomato
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- tin foil if taking to go!
Spray a small glass dish with non-stick spray and crack whole egg and egg white into dish. Microwave for 45 seconds, stir, then microwave 30 more seconds or until firm - sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper and place on top of cooked eggs.
Wrap frozen sausage patty in paper towel and microwave for 60 seconds then place on top of tomato/egg dish.
To assemble sandwich, place one half of the English muffin on top of the dish then top with a large square of tin foil.
Flip the dish over and lay flat on the foil to reveal the egg/sausage/tomato components.
Top with second English muffin half and wrap tightly with foil to enjoy on the road.
Not taking this sandwich to go? Simply skip the foil and use a plate instead. :)