Smoky paprika and chipotle peppers in adobo add flavor and depth to this healthy and satisfying turkey chili.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast 99% fat free
- 2 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs chipotle in adobo minced (optional)
- 1 tbs all-purpose grill seasoning
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 c chopped veggies (red/orange/yellow peppers carrots, celery, etc.)
- ½ can beer (rest for the coo-can sub with chicken broth)
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1 small can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs bbq sauce
- 1 can beans of choice drained and rinsed
- ½ c frozen corn
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro to garnish
Heat large soup pot over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
Add turkey and spices (cumin through grill seasoning and cook for 6-8 minutes or until turkey is browned.
Add onion, garlic and vegetables and continue cooking 6-8 more minutes until veggies are tender and turkey is starting to get really brown. (
Don't be afraid to walk away from the pot. We want the meat to caramelize and turn very brown - almost like it's burning.)
Add beer to deglaze the pan and scrape up brown bits on bottom of pan using a wooden spoon.
Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, bbq sauce and bring to a boil.
Add rinsed beans and corn.
Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary.
Simmer for 20 minutes or longer and garnish to serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and chopped fresh cilantro. Tastes even better the next day.