Hearty soup made with butternut squash and beans seasoned with cinnamon and cumin.
Is it just me or did November sneak up on us?? As tempting as it is to throw on yoga pants and hide underneath baggy sweaters while we drink eggnog, we have worked too hard all year long to throw in the towel now!
On second thought… mmm… egg nog. A little fresh grated nutmeg on top? Boom. Just kidding. Kinda.
In all seriousness, life is all about balance and that is more true now than ever as we enter the hectic holiday season. Do yourself a favor and whip up a big batch of this soup loaded in antioxidant-rich spices, hearty protein-packed beans and a rainbow of vegetables.
There’s no scientific proof that this soup helps fight cold and flu season but I’m pretty sure it can’t hurt.
Your spoon is waiting.
Vegetable Bean Soup with Greens
- 1 onion – (diced)
- 2 carrots – diced
- 2 celery stalks – diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (or black pepper)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 4 cups butternut squash cubes (peeled)
- 8 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 15 oz can cannellini beans (or beans of choice)
- 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups leafy greens ((spinach, kale, chard, etc.))
- 1 juice lemon
- fresh parsley and parmesan cheese – optional garnish
- Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic cloves in large pot sprayed with non-stick spray over medium heat. Add salt to release juices and continue to stir until veggies soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chili flakes, cinnamon, cumin and butternut squash cubes. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently before adding chicken broth, beans and tomatoes.
- Bring pot to a boil then reduce to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is cooked through.
- Before serving, stir in leafy greens and lemon juice. When greens wilt, check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve with fresh parsley and shaved parm.
Yum! I am always looking for a good veggie soup! This looks like it has my name all over it!
Me too!! It freezes really well, too btw.
this looks so delicious! and so healthy. :)
And I agree with November sneaking up on us. WOW.
Yummy soup! I have a household of stickies right now (everyone except me), so soup has been in demand. Tonight I made a roasted tomato soup that was delicious. I’m sure your soup is a great cold fighter too :-)
That sounds incredible- how was it?? I’m craving tomato soup lately!
Great soup! And, yes, we are definitely on the same page :)
Tis the season for tasty soup!! :-)
Thanks friend! Happy to say I have a second batch in my freezer!