This hearty turkey and vegetable ragu is packed with warm Indian spices that will have your taste buds begging for more.
FACT: “Clean Out the Fridge” dinners are, hands down, the most delicious meals you’ll eat all week. I don’t know about you but whenever I enter the kitchen without any sort of plan, recipe or strategy, I almost always end up with the most creative, flavorful and inventive meal I’ve eaten all week.
My Indian-Spiced Turkey and Vegetable Ragu is the direct result of a recent clean-out-the-fridge dinner experiment. We had ground turkey to use so I sautéed it in a pan with the last of the vegetables including one ear of corn, a red pepper and a zucchini. Since ground turkey is quite lean, it lends itself well to strong spices which is why I decided to head towards India with the addition of garam masala, curry powder and turmeric.
Warm spices like turmeric, cinnamon and others found in this dish are not only intoxicatingly delicious but they are also full of antioxidants. In fact, studies show that the remarkably low rate of alzheimer’s in India is due to the high consumption of turmeric. Since alzheimer’s runs in my family, I have been trying to add it to our diet more and more.
Speaking of turmeric, I must give a shout out to my friend Faith of An Edible Mosaic. She sent me several bags of spices including turmeric from a spice bazaar in Kuwait where she is currently living. Let me tell you, there is something to be said for high quality spices from good quality sources that makes all the difference!
Your fork is waiting.
Indian-Spiced Turkey and Vegetable Ragu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 ear corn kernels removed
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups kale roughly chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce low sodium
- brown rice - to serve
- fresh cilantro and plain yogurt optional garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat and add onion. Sautee until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 additional seconds to release flavor.
- Add ground turkey and spices (salt through cayenne) to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to break down turkey as it browns, about 7-9 minutes.
- Toss zucchini, red pepper and corn into the pan and continue to cook with the turkey until veggies soften, 4-5 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan and use wooden spoon to scrap up any browned bits from bottom of the pan. Add kale and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Check for seasoning at this point and adjust accordingly.
- Serve over brown rice and garnish with fresh cilantro and plain yogurt if you wish.