This crowd-pleasing traditional Italian Wedding Soup recipe is made with plenty of veggies, flavorful meatballs and pasta. Always a family favorite!
My husband is Italian and one of the many perks of being married to an Italian is that we’ve had the opportunity to attend several Italian weddings over the years.
With soup season quickly approaching, I figured it was a good time to recreate one of our favorite Italian soups at home which is what inspired this homemade Italian wedding soup recipe.
If you’re not familiar, the term “wedding soup” stems from the Italian phrase “minestra maritata” which essentially means married soup. What is married you ask? The combination of flavors between the greens and meat. How cool is that?
One of my secret tips for the meatballs is to add in grated parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. This will help keep the meatballs moist and in-tact without relying on eggs or breadcrumbs.
While I have nothing wrong with eggs or breadcrumbs, they don’t add flavor quite as well as cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Additionally, this keeps the meatballs gluten free.
For the pasta, traditionally it calls for acini de pepe pictured above but any small pasta works great including orzo. My kids love the little stars I find in specialty stores.
Lastly, before serving, stir in baby spinach just until wilted. This should only take about 2 minutes total. You’ll know the spinach is perfect when it’s bright green. Your spoon is waiting.
Best Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 8 ounces acini de pepe or orzo (uncooked )
- fresh parsley and parmesan cheese (optional garnish, to serve)
- 1 pound ground sirloin or turkey
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- ¼ cup parsley (minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (minced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Start by making the meatballs: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all meatball ingredients: ground meat through pepper. Roll into small meatballs using a small cookie scoop or a large tablespoon then place in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through; set aside.
- While meatballs are baking, begin making soup by heating olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Saute until veggies are tender, about 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour broth into the pot then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add meatballs and pasta to the pot and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach right before serving and heat until wilted, about 2 minutes. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese to serve.
Interested in more soup recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!
1 thought on “Best Italian Wedding Soup”
Greetings! I am new to meal prepping and was wondering is this soup good to go to the freezer or do we omit anything and cook later? Thank you.