Easy to prepare, these sweet and savory grilled Korean beef skewers are tasty and will please your taste buds.
As we enter the new year full of new resolve and good intentions, it is important to keep our taste buds engaged and excited about the food we eat. Humans have the ability to receive tastes through 5 basic categories: Spicy, Salty, Sweet, Sour and the fifth sense, Umami. Why not create a knock out dish that maximizes all of these categories? The best part – many of them have little to no calories.
Spicy: chili garlic paste, red pepper flakes, black pepper, jalapeno, sriracha
Salty: fish sauce, sea salt, kosher salt
Sweet: orange juice, honey, brown sugar, white sugar, agave
Sour: lemon juice, tomato products, lime juice, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar,
Umami: soy sauce, parmesan cheese, anchovies, olives
Pick your protein, pick an ingredient from each S and you are well on your way to a tasty and healthy dinner.
Your fork is waiting.
Korean BBQ Beef Skewers
- Slice flank steak against the grain into long, thin slices and place into a large glass dish or plastic bag.
- Pour all remaining ingredients over the beef and marinate for 2 hours or longer. At this time, place wooden skewers in a shallow dish and cover with water. This prevents the skewers from burning when you grill them.
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before you plan to grill them to allow beef to come to room temperature.
- Pre-heat grill pan on high and spray with non-stick spray.
- Skewer beef and grill about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with sliced onions and cucumbers.