Happy 2012! I’m not going to lie – I love this time of year! Everywhere you look and everything you hear is about new beginnings and opportunities to re-commit to a healthy lifestyle. For those of you looking to get started, I recommend setting a few small, obtainable goals this month. Instead of focusing on foods you can’t eat, focus on foods you wish to eat more of in the coming year.
Today’s recipe features bulgur wheat, one of my favorite whole grains. Not only does it cook in just 15 minutes, but it is loaded in fiber and protein to help keep you fuller longer. Of course we all know that fiber is important because it helps promote a healthy digestive system and also removes LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Bulgur wheat is extremely versatile – you can flavor it with anything you wish similar to white rice. No lemons on hand? Try this with oranges instead. Out of almonds? Try toasted pine nuts.
Your fork is waiting.
Lemon Scented Bulgur Wheat with Toasted Almonds
- 2 c chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 c bulgur wheat
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 c sliced almonds toasted
- In a medium sauce pan, bring broth and zest to a boil.
- Add bulgur wheat, salt and pepper then bring to a boil; reduce to low and simmer with a lid on for 15 minutes.
- When liquid has been absorbed, fluff the wheat with a fork.
- Add lemon juice and fluff again. Serve with toasted pine nuts on top.