Lemon juice adds bright, fresh flavor to these decadent buttery lemon shortbread cookies. The salted chocolate drizzle takes each bite to the next level.
There is something so pure and magical about shortbread cookies. Buttery, dense, slightly nutty and just the right amount of salt – they are perfect for dipping into coffee. They also happen to be my mother’s favorite cookie which is why I loved making these recently.
Don’t worry, this recipe is 100% fool-proof. Let’s be real, if I’m baking you can be sure it’s an easy recipe. Traditional shortbread is always a hit but I couldn’t resist adding a bit of bright flavor from fresh lemon zest. And since I don’t believe in desserts made without chocolate, I had to add a little chocolate and sea salt drizzle on top. You can thank me later.
No forks required this time.
Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Salted Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- kosher salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour 1/2 cup at a time until mixture starts to form a ball.
- Remove dough from the mixer and gently press into prepared baking sheet. Use your fingers to gently spread the dough throughout most of the pan leaving it about 1 inch thick.
- Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- While shortbread is cooling, place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted, 2-3 minutes, stirring every 45 seconds.
- Once shortbread is completely cooled, slice into strips using a sharp knife or a pizza wheel.
- Place shortbread on a large piece of parchment paper and slowly drizzle the melted chocolate on top using a large spoon. Sprinkle with kosher salt to taste.
- Let cool 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.