A low carb spin on the classic Italian comfort dish, this cheesy lasagna recipe is made with zucchini noodles and hearty Italian sausage! Freezer Friendly too!
With a last name like Della Croce, it probably doesn’t surprise you that Italian food is always a hit in my house.
Like most kids, my boys love lasagna which is why I always love coming up with creative ways to make it healthier at home. The best part about cooking from scratch is that you can control the quality of ingredients.
For this particular recipe, that means making a quick and easy red sauce with Italian sausage and replacing the traditional pasta noodles with low carb zucchini noodles.
When it comes to cheese, I prefer to use high quality, full-fat dairy such as that used with Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Mozzarella Shredded Cheese. By using the best possible cheese, you will end up with a dish that is more satisfying. Read: you won’t need to eat as much to feel full and happy.
Another reason why I love using Tillamook shredded cheese is because it’s cut in thick, generously sized shreds. Bigger shreds are not only better for flavor but better for melting. (Hello cheese pull!)
Cooking for Kids Pro Tip: This low carb lasagna is so cheesy and satisfying that they will have no idea they’re eating strips of zucchini. In fact, the thinner you slice the zucchini, the less they’ll notice it at all.
Once it comes out of the oven, I like to sprinkle it with a little fresh basil right before serving to brighten up all the flavors.
How delicious does this look? No kid can resist dinner that comes with the perfect cheese pull.
Ideal for making ahead and freezing, this is a great dish to gift a new mom, or to pop in the freezer for another busy weeknight.
Your fork is waiting.
Is this Dish Freezer Friendly?
Is there a vegetarian version of this dish?
Yes! This one! Just swap out the Italian Sausage Red Sauce and purchase plain red sauce
Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Lasagna
- 2 large zucchini (cut into wide noodles/strips, about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced )
- 4 cups Italian Sausage Red Sauce (or store-bought red pasta sauce of choice)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated, divided)
- 2 cups Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and spray an 8 1/2" x 11" baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- To cut zucchini noodles, trim both ends of the zucchini and cut into 1/4 inch wide strips.
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta with egg, 1/4 cup of the parsley and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and mix well; set aside.
- Prepare the Italian Sausage Red Pasta Sauce according to the directions in this recipe. Alternatively, you can use store-bought red sauce (no need to heat up.)
- Begin assembling the lasagna by spreading one cup of the pasta sauce on a thin layer on the bottom of the pan. Top with a single layer of the zucchini noodles.
- Next, dollop 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture on top and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the Tillamook Mozzarella Shredded Cheese. Top with 1 cup of the sauce.
- Repeat layers starting with zucchini followed by ricotta then sauce. Repeat until ingredients are used, ending with the sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of the Tillamook Mozzarella Shredded Cheese before baking in the oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm.
Disclosure: This post was written in partnership with Tillamook. All thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible.
Want more delicious recipes? Check out my Pinterest!