Make your own homemade instant oatmeal mix! This recipe is as easy as combining oats with your favorite nuts, fruit, and spices.
If you know me, you know I love oatmeal for breakfast. And while I love the convenience of instant oatmeal, store bought can contain a lot of preservatives, hidden ingredients, and processed sugar that decrease the nutritional value. That’s why I love to keep the convenience without skipping the nutrition by making my own homemade instant oatmeal mix. I’ll be sharing my favorite way to make it, but this method can be an outline you follow and make your own!
- Oats: We like to use old fashioned oats, but you can use quick oats as well.
- Chopped nuts: Use your favorite, I typically use a mix of walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Dried fruit: Again, use your favorite mix, I use raisins, dried mango, or dried apricots.
- Brown sugar: Adds a wonderful richer sweetness to the finished oatmeal.
- Warm spices: I love the warm, more savory flavor that nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves give to the oatmeal.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed meal doesn’t add anything in flavor, but is a packed with nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids.
how to Make your own Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
Start your homemade instant oatmeal by chopping your mixed nuts. For added flavor, toss them in the oven and toast them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Then prepare your dried fruit and toss it in a large bowl with your oats.
Next add the brown sugar.
Followed by the flaxseed meal.
Then add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves, along with a pinch of salt.
Stir everything together until your oatmeal mix is evenly combined.
To prepare your oatmeal, mix a cup of the dried mix with 1/2 cup of either milk or water, and microwave for about 90 seconds. Then serve, and enjoy your homemade instant oatmeal mix!
- Switch up the fruit. Apricots, cranberries, cherries, dates, figs… go crazy with your dried-fruit-loving self. You could also add fresh fruit before serving, like blueberries or strawberries.
- Sweeten it differently. Instead of brown sugar, use honey or maple syrup. Like it sweeter? Try adding in chocolate chips.
Frequently asked questions
Which is the healthiest oatmeal?
All kinds of oats are actually similar in nutritional value, they just take different amounts of time to cook. Steel cut oats usually take the longest, and
Can you eat oatmeal everyday?
Yes you can! It’s high fiber and probiotic content make it a great breakfast choice.
How long does homemade instant oatmeal keep?
Kept in an airtight container at room temperature, the mix will keep for up to 3 weeks.
Other Oatmeal Options
- Quick Banana Oatmeal with Flax
- Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this oatmeal recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
On busy school mornings, with my homemade instant oatmeal mix prepped in advance, I can have breakfast on the table in 90 seconds. My kids have a hearty breakfast that will keep them full until lunch, and your can, too.
Your spoon is waiting.
Make Your Own Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spread chopped nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast nuts for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including toasted nuts. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.
- To serve: scoop out 1 cup of the oatmeal mixture and place it in a bowl with 1/2 cup water or milk. Microwave for 90 seconds or until liquid is absorbed.