This mashed cauliflower side dish has the creaminess from yogurt combined with the subtle bitterness of the kohlrabi to make this dish shine.
Recently, I was reading an article in People Magazine about Paula Deen’s journey to lose 30 pounds after being diagnosed with Type II diabetes. One line, in particular, stood out regarding her immediate elimination of white foods (potatoes, rice, bread, etc.)Today’s recipe is an ideal swap-out for mashed potato lovers.
The creaminess from the yogurt combined with the subtle bitterness of the kohlrabi and sharp flavors of the horseradish make this dish shine. Proof positive? My husband ate two giant servings.
Never tried kohlrabi before? Check out my TV appearance on EightWest below, a local NBC show, where I demonstrate how to breakdown the crazy-looking member of the turnip family for my tasty Grilled Cheese with Apples, Dijon and Kohlrabi.
Your fork is waiting.
Mashed Cauliflower and Kohlrabi
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 kohlrabi (peeled and cut large chunks)
- ½ cup plain yogurt (low fat or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup chives (minced + 2 tbs for garnish)
- Using a steamer basket, bring 3 inches of water to a boil then add cauliflower and kohlrabi.
- Steam until veggies are fork tender – about 8-10 minutes.
- Once veggies are cooked, pour out the cooking water and remove steamer basket.
- Add veggies back into the same pan and use a potato masher to smash the cauliflower and kohlrabi together. (Let the kids help!)
- Next, add in yogurt, horseradish, salt, pepper and 1/4 c of chives.
- For an even smoother texture, use an immersion blender or electric mixer.
- Serve with extra chives on top.