A healthy spin on the popular Chinese takeout dish, you’re going to love this fresh and flavorful Orange Chicken Lettuce Cups recipe. Ideal for a light dinner or appetizer!
The perfect marriage of two popular Chinese takeout dishes, you’re going to love these fresh and flavorful Orange Chicken Lettuce Cups! Made wish fresh orange juice, bright ginger and toasted sesame oil, each bite is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
While you could definitely serve the chicken over rice, we love eating it with lettuce cups. My boys call them tacos, we just call it delicious.
Traditionally made by deep frying chicken and dousing it in a sugary, sticky orange sauce, this version is lighter and fresh – perfect for summer.
For a bit of heat, chili paste is added to the sauce to help balance out the tangy rice vinegar and naturally sweet orange juice. Garlic, ginger and sesame oil bring it all together.
The best part? The entire dish comes together in less than 15 minutes – faster than you can order takeout!
No forks required.
Orange Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless (skinless chicken breasts – cubed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 juice and zest of orange
- 2 tablespoons Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- bibb lettuce cups (to serve)
- scallions and black roasted sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Heat oil in a wok or deep skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken cubes with salt and pepper then add to the hot pan. Stir-fry until golden brown on all sides, about 6-7 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To the hot pan, add ginger, garlic and chili paste. Stir-fry for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add orange juice and zest to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Pour in rice vinegar, soy sauce and corn starch and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken back to the pan and stir to coat with orange sauce. Drizzle with sesame oil and stir once more.
- Serve chicken in lettuce cups and garnish with scallions and black roasted sesame seeds.
12 thoughts on “Orange Chicken Lettuce Cups”
I’m a sucker for the traditional dish but totally loving this lightened up version. Perfect use of Nakano rice vinegar!
Thank you so much lady!!
This looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I am always on the look out for light, tasty meals!!
Thank you so much!!
I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this. I LOVE Orange Chicken. The lettuce wraps look like such a summery version. Love it.
Awww thank you pretty lady!
How fun are these? My boys love orange chicken and these would be devoured in no time.
I heart fun food. :) Happy early Father’s Day Matt!
Perfect for a light summer meal! I know my family would enjoy these!
YES!! They so would!
Love this healthier version of orange chicken! Truthfully, I’ve never had orange chicken before but I MUST try it now. Lettuce cups are the perfect summer dish because yes, “no forks required!”
I really had never had the real thing either!! These are way better!