A quick easy side dish recipe, this perfectly roasted Parmesan broccoli is slightly caramelized and topped with lots of nutty Parmesan cheese.
My boys (all three of them!) love broccoli so I’m always looking for new and creative ways to serve it. Recently we ordered Parmesan broccoli while dining out and the boys practically devoured it in 60 seconds.
Needless to say, I knew I had to go home and try to recreate it in my own kitchen! There are a few secrets perfectly roasted broccoli or any roasted vegetable for that matter.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
How to make perfectly roasted broccoli
- Evenly coat the vegetables
It’s important that you evenly coat the vegetables with olive oil before spreading out on the baking sheet. While you can drizzle the vegetables with oil right on the baking sheet, I’ve found that tossing the vegetables with oil in a bowl does a better job of ensuring all sides of the veggie are coated in oil. The more surface coated with oil means the more caramelization you’ll end up with which means more flavor.
- Single layer
When roasting the vegetables, be sure to lay them in a single layer with no overlapping. You need space around the vegetables to ensure perfect caramelization. If you crowd the pan they will steam which means they will be soggy. This is especially true with sweet potato fries.
When garnishing with cheese or herbs, I like to add them once the vegetables come out of the oven. The warmth from the veggies will soften the cheese without burning it and will release the flavors of the chili flakes. If using fresh herbs like parsley or basil, you won’t want to add to the oven or they will wilt.
3. When garnishing with cheese or herbs, I like to add them once the vegetables come out of the oven. The warmth from the veggies will soften the cheese without burning it and will release the flavors of the chili flakes. If using fresh herbs like parsley or basil, you won’t want to add to the oven or they will wilt.
One thing is for sure, by putting a little effort into how you prepare vegetables, you will be surprised how something so simple and nutritious turns into gold.
Your fork is waiting.
Perfectly Roasted Parmesan Broccoli
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degree and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together broccoli with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer on baking sheet and roast until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- While broccoli is still warm and fresh from the oven, toss with parmesan cheese and chili flakes. Serve warm.
Want more delicious side dish recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!