A protein-packed, thick and creamy pumpkin smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass!
Happy 1st Day of Fall!! Like so many, fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. Now that I’m well into my eighth month of pregnancy, I am perfectly happy with cooler temps and crisp breezes. Bring on the stretchy pants!
The other great thing about the arrival of is that I no longer have to feel guilty about cooking with pumpkin.
Why is this Pumkin Smoothie good for you?
- Low Calorie: A 1/2 c serving is only 35 calories
- Rich in Dietary Fiber.
- Loaded in Vitamin A which promotes healthy vision and improved immune function.
- Full of Beta-Carotene, a powerful antioxidant.
- Naturally low in sodium.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How many calories are in pure pumpkin?
Pure pumpkin is loaded in nutritional value. Be sure to grab the 100% Pure Pumpkin and not the sweetened pumpkin pie filling. Here are a few reasons why I love cooking with pumpkin:
It’s a great way to add moisture, flavor and nutrients without adding to the waistline. Of course I haven’t seen my waist in a few months but that’s besides the point.
Do you love to bake? Use pure pumpkin in place of half of the required oil. Want an easy snack? Mix it with yogurt and use it as a fruit dip. Craving something creamy? Stir it into low fat ricotta cheese for a lighter alternative to ice cream. Or, try my Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie as a perfect mid-day or post-workout snack. Just one serving provides 5 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein for just 126 calories.
Your straw is waiting
Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- ½ cup pure pumpkin (unsweetened)
- ½ cup oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 scoops scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch salt
- vanilla stevia or natural sweetener of choice (to taste)
- Place all ingredients except the ice in a high speed blender and puree until smooth – about 45 seconds.
- Add ice and continue pureeing until you reach desired consistency.