A protein-packed, thick and creamy pumpkin smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass!
It should come to no surprise that from my love of pumpkin and smoothies would emerge a delicious Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie. When fall comes around, I will find any excuse to put pumpkin in almost everything. I like to start my mornings with a smoothie packed full of protein, antioxidants, and flavor to get a great start to my day and to stay full through lunch. This smoothie has that and more!
- Pumpkin: Full of vitamin C and iron, pumpkin is delicious and good to boost your immune system. Make sure you get pure pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Oats: Extremely nutrient dense, oats are a great source in fiber, iron, and protein.
- Banana: I love to use bananas as a natural sweetener in my smoothies, and they’re also a great source of vitamins like potassium.
- Apple: I like to use gala or fuji apples, which adds natural sweetness and pairs with the pumpkin to up that fall flavor.
- Milk: I use lowfat dairy milk, but almond milk or coconut milk would also work in this smoothie.
- Vanilla protein powder: Whether whey or plant based, grab your favorite protein powder to increase the protein in this smoothie.
- Flax seed meal: While it doesn’t do anything flavor wise, flax seed meal is a great source of antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids which are really good for you!
- Vanilla: Balances out the flavor and sweetens the smoothie with the fruit.
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger blend together to make the delicious flavor of pumpkin pie spice.
- Salt: Just a pinch helps to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients and bring balance to the smoothie.
How to Make
Start your Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie by grabbing your blender and adding the pure pumpkin puree.
Then add either your old-fashioned or quick oats.
Followed by the flax seed meal.
Then peel and break apart a banana and add to the blender. If you use a frozen banana, you won’t need to add as much ice.
Cut up your apple and add it to the blender. I don’t peel mine, but you could if you prefer!
Then pour in your milk.
Next sprinkle in your favorite vanilla protein powder.
Then add your pumpkin spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
Finish with the vanilla and pinch of salt.
Blend your pumpkin pie smoothie, adding ice to get to your desired consistency.
Once ingredients are fully blended, pour into glasses and enjoy your Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you freeze pumpkin puree for smoothies?
Yes you can! Pumpkin puree freezes really well, and it’s a great way to not let a can go to waste when a recipe doesn’t call for the whole thing.
Can you lose weight drinking smoothies?
Smoothies are a great low calorie breakfast, and adding protein helps keep you fuller, longer which can help you lose weight!
Can you make protein smoothies in advance?
Yes! You can make blend the smoothie in advance and keep in the fridge or freezer, or use my method for make-ahead smoothie freezer bags.
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
- Peach Protein Smoothie
- Apple Peanut Butter Smoothie
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your smoothie.
If all things pumpkin is your go-to flavor for fall, then you’ll love my Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie.
Your straw is waiting
Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- ½ cup pure pumpkin (unsweetened)
- ½ cup oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- vanilla stevia or natural sweetener of choice (to taste)
- Place all ingredients except the ice in a high speed blender and puree until smooth – about 45 seconds.
- Add ice and continue pureeing until you reach desired consistency.
67 thoughts on “Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie”
This is so fun! I love that I can “drink” my pumpkin this season!
Me too!! I’m actually drinking a pumpkin smoothie as I type!! :)
This is perfect. Going to make it this Saturday before we head out to a harvest fair and go apple picking here in PA.
Oh you will love this one Edie!! Have fun apple picking!!
Ooooh, this looks like Jamba Juice’s pumpkin smash smoothie which is one of my seasonal FAVORITE things! Like pumpkin pie in a glass, and this is exactly that! I am in loooooove.
Oh my gosh I used to go to Jamba Juice in college in Boston! Great memories!!
Love, love, love pumpkin smoothies! I need to stock up on Pumpkin – it’s finally cold here – I was in denial for a while ;)
haha the cold weather most certainly helps. :) Enjoy!!
Wow~sure could use the Amazon gift card~keeping my fingers crossed. :-)
Thanx for the giveaway. :-)
Love for Pumpkins.
Good luck Sally!! You seem to have good luck! :)
Really? I haven’t won yet :-( ~but still keeping my fingers crossed :-) and I
still love pumpkin <3
Oh Yes Liz,
I did not forget that~what wonderful pasta!
My family loves it,now just have to make some Mac&Cheese,seeing as
summer time pasta salads are passing and Comfort Food is taking the
Just think of all the Pumpkin that I can buy. :-)
I cannot wait to try this smoothie!! My daughter and I have been doing breakfast smoothies for a while now — so this will be a nice “dessert” type smoothie! Thanks for sharing!! Love your website and all of your recipes! Wishing you all the best in the upcoming months for the birth of your precious baby!!
I am all about “dessert” smoothies – haha. Thank you so much for your nice words!!!
This looks so tasty! It would be great for a breakfast treat.
Thank you Sandy!! I hope your travels have been going well!!
I love finding good smoothie recipes and this one sounds great. It sounds like the best pumpkin smoothie recipe I’ve seen to date. It is definitely on my list of things to try.
Wow thank you so much Susan! I hope you enjoy it!
Liz, stumbled across your blog last year and have been ADDICTED to your recipes! Chicken shawarma, check. All smoothies, check. KEEP THEM COMING!
You are so sweet – Thank you Katie! So glad you like it!!
I love everything pumpkin too. I have got to try that smoothie! Thanks.
I can’t seem to get enough pumpkin!! :)
I’ve never tried using pumpkin in smoothies before but it sure sounds delicious! Oh and I wish this giveaway was opened worldwide, I’m sure I would have found a way to spend this money ;)
Oh man I’m sorry you can’t enter!!! I can’t either so we can commiserate together.
Very appealing to the senses for Fall.
Looks like a good smoothie! Last year I tried my own pumpkin smoothie, but it just wasn’t quite right. Will have to try this one! Your smoothies are always good!
THank you so much – I hope you enjoy!
Sounds delicious! Gotta pick some pumpkin up from the store! ;)
I love having it on hand!! It keeps well in the fridge all week too once you’ve opened a can.
Yum!! I tried making a pumpkin smoothie once, but it wasn’t so good. I think there was too much pumpkin. Definitely trying your version next!
Too much pumpkin?? Is that possible?? Just teasing. :) Enjoy!!
Oh this smoothie looks tremendous, move over blueberries, pumpkin here we come!! Nettie
My thoughts exactly!!
Yum! Love everything pumpkin!
You and me both. :)
Such a great smoothie for fall! Can’t wait to try it! My two year old loves any and all smoothies, so I know he’s going to love this one :)
My son loves them too!! Enjoy!
That pumpkin meme cracked me up!! The smoothie looks good – you know I am always making your smoothie creations so I will definitely be trying this one!
haha isn’t it the best?? I hope you like this one!!
This smoothie sounds fantastic. I’ve only ever added oats to my smoothie once, and it was amazing, why not try it again?! And like you, fall is my favorite season. Pumpkin pumpkin everywhere!
I don’t always remember to do it myself but I’m always glad when I do!! Adds such great texture and flavor.