A protein-packed, thick and creamy pumpkin smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass!
It should come to no surprise that from my love of pumpkin and smoothies would emerge a delicious Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie. When fall comes around, I will find any excuse to put pumpkin in almost everything. I like to start my mornings with a smoothie packed full of protein, antioxidants, and flavor to get a great start to my day and to stay full through lunch. This smoothie has that and more!
- Pumpkin: Full of vitamin C and iron, pumpkin is delicious and good to boost your immune system. Make sure you get pure pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Oats: Extremely nutrient dense, oats are a great source in fiber, iron, and protein.
- Banana: I love to use bananas as a natural sweetener in my smoothies, and they’re also a great source of vitamins like potassium.
- Apple: I like to use gala or fuji apples, which adds natural sweetness and pairs with the pumpkin to up that fall flavor.
- Milk: I use lowfat dairy milk, but almond milk or coconut milk would also work in this smoothie.
- Vanilla protein powder: Whether whey or plant based, grab your favorite protein powder to increase the protein in this smoothie.
- Flax seed meal: While it doesn’t do anything flavor wise, flax seed meal is a great source of antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids which are really good for you!
- Vanilla: Balances out the flavor and sweetens the smoothie with the fruit.
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger blend together to make the delicious flavor of pumpkin pie spice.
- Salt: Just a pinch helps to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients and bring balance to the smoothie.
How to Make
Start your Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie by grabbing your blender and adding the pure pumpkin puree.
Then add either your old-fashioned or quick oats.
Followed by the flax seed meal.
Then peel and break apart a banana and add to the blender. If you use a frozen banana, you won’t need to add as much ice.
Cut up your apple and add it to the blender. I don’t peel mine, but you could if you prefer!
Then pour in your milk.
Next sprinkle in your favorite vanilla protein powder.
Then add your pumpkin spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
Finish with the vanilla and pinch of salt.
Blend your pumpkin pie smoothie, adding ice to get to your desired consistency.
Once ingredients are fully blended, pour into glasses and enjoy your Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you freeze pumpkin puree for smoothies?
Yes you can! Pumpkin puree freezes really well, and it’s a great way to not let a can go to waste when a recipe doesn’t call for the whole thing.
Can you lose weight drinking smoothies?
Smoothies are a great low calorie breakfast, and adding protein helps keep you fuller, longer which can help you lose weight!
Can you make protein smoothies in advance?
Yes! You can make blend the smoothie in advance and keep in the fridge or freezer, or use my method for make-ahead smoothie freezer bags.
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
- Peach Protein Smoothie
- Apple Peanut Butter Smoothie
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your smoothie.
If all things pumpkin is your go-to flavor for fall, then you’ll love my Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie.
Your straw is waiting
Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- ½ cup pure pumpkin (unsweetened)
- ½ cup oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- vanilla stevia or natural sweetener of choice (to taste)
- Place all ingredients except the ice in a high speed blender and puree until smooth – about 45 seconds.
- Add ice and continue pureeing until you reach desired consistency.
67 thoughts on “Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie”
This smoothie is absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing it!
I’m so glad you love it!
Sipping on my own version of Pumpkin Pie Smoothie while reading your version…looks yummy…like others, I forget to add a scoop or 2 of oatmeal to mine.Thanks for the reminder. It adds great texture and activates your salivary glands and preps your gut to start the digestive juices, so your body will absorb all the great nutrients.
I’m always looking for those smoothie recipes that have a good amount and combination of important nutrients that we all don’t get enough of on a daily basis and I like yours. If I can, I try and sneak in few other goodies like, flax meal, chaga or reishi mushroom, tocotrienols or chia seeds without changing the taste too much.
I bought a couple of cans of organic pumkin puree on Vitacost for a great deal and am so glad to read that you have other pumpkin recipes on the way!
Have a superfood day!
So glad you enjoyed Elizabeth!! love your food philosophy!! :)
Gosh, this makes me wish I could find real pumpkin over here in Taiwan. Maybe I’ll have to use sweet potato or the asian pumpkin they have here. They are super delicious too.
Butternut squash or sweet potato would be perfect substitutes!!!
Ok, I actually made this, and it was AMAZING! Thank you for such a great recipe!
Oh good I’m so glad you liked it Ari!!!! One of my favorites!
I made this today and it was so good! I had some homemade pumpkin purée and was looking for options to use it all up! This was so easy and delicious 😋
I made this this morning and the oats were chewy and bitter! Had to toss it :-(
Oh no Heather!!! We enjoy oats in our smoothies all the time and they have never been chewy or bitter. Do you have a fairly good blender? I’m wondering if you let it go long enough? We seriously eat this all the time so I am truly sad to hear your oats weren’t fully blended and smooth!! My apologies regardless. I hope you try another smoothie!
Yummy! I love how versatile pumpkin is. I bake with it, cook with it, drink it, I think I even have abbody wash that’s pumpkin scented. And lots of different candles. LOL I’d say I have a pumpkin addiction but… clearly that’s obvious and I’m not the only one!
You are definitely not the only one!! I have so many pumpkin recipes coming up!!
I have three ever-hungry teenaged sons who will appreciate this yummy pumpkin smoothie with breakfast this morning. :-)
Oh good!! I hope you enjoy Marie!
LOVE LOVE LOVE pumpkin! Thanks for the easy and clean recipe!
My pleasure – enjoy Natalie!
I love fall and pumpkin flavored foods! This sounds good. Thanks for sharing!
Same here!! Enjoy Karen!
I love all things pumpkin!
You and me both!!
Today is my birthday and I would love to get my “wish items” on my amazon account ;) Thank you for the opportunity!!!
Oh yay, pumpkin love :) I cannot wait to taste this!!
I just. can’t. quit. pumpkin.
Thanks for this giveaway! I love making pumpkin smoothies! They are my favorite way to bring in the falls season in a delicious, healthy way!:) Thanks again!
My pleasure – good luck!!