This protein-packed quinoa dish full creamy acorn squash, crunchy apples and toasted walnuts is naturally gluten free and vegan.
If you’re looking for an easy make-ahead Thanksgiving side dish or simply want to incorporate more meatless meals into your weekly menu, this quinoa dish is for you!
Packed with juicy apples, roasted acorn squash and toasted walnuts, it is bursting with flavor and contrasting textures. Parsley, scallions and lemon juice add freshness and bright flavors to bring everything together.
Just one side dish serving provides over 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber. This recipe also happens to be 100% gluten free and vegan which is perfect if you’re entertaining a crowd and need a few options for guests with food allergies or dietary preferences.
In this busy time of year filled with so many indulgent and and decadent dishes, it is always nice to have at least least one guilt-free option you can feel good about serving your friends and family.
Your fork is waiting.
Quinoa and Acorn Squash Dish
- 1 in acorn squash seeded and cut cubes (skin-on)
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked & prepared according to package instructions
- 1 apple cored and diced
- 1/2 cup scallions minced
- 1/4 cup parsley minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place acorn cubes in a resealable plastic bag and coat with half of the olive oil, salt and pepper (2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.) Seal bag and shake well to combine.
- Scatter squash on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until softened.
- While squash is baking, combine cooked quinoa, diced apple, scallions and parsley in a large bowl.
- Toast walnuts in a dry pan for 4-5 minutes over medium heat or until they smell toasted. Add to bowl with quinoa.
- Add cooked squash to the quinoa and dress with lemon juice, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper (2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.) Toss well and season with additional salt or pepper if needed.