If you are lucky enough to have a mother who cans and preserves the fresh flavors of Summer, then you are lucky enough. Every Summer, my mother takes advantage of Michigan’s beautiful bounty and cans everything from tomato sauce (aka “Mary’s Marinara”) to pickled vegetables. She doesn’t just stop there, she also makes apple sauce, apple butter and fruit preserves. Then, if you are lucky enough, she’ll present you with a huge basket of homemade goodies at Christmas. It is the perfect basket of fresh and flavorful happiness to get you through a long, cold and gloomy Winter.
This morning I took advantage of her tart and tangy Raspberry Preserves. Nothing compares to that first bite that takes you right back to July when the market was bursting with berries of every color. In lieu of spreading this deliciousness on crusty sourdough bread, I decided to swirl it into my morning bowl of oats. And let’s be real, this house hasn’t seen crusty sourdough bread in, well, maybe ever. Whoopsies!
Of course if you don’t have homemade fruit preserves, there are plenty of high quality brands at the grocery store. Just be sure to look for “100% Pure Fruit” preserves. No need to spend money on creepy fillers. You want the preserves to taste like fruit, not corn syrup. After you’ve tried this recipe, be sure to use your preserves in other meals or snacks. Stir a little into plain Greek yogurt instead of honey or add a couple tablespoons to your next smoothie. The options are endless.
Your spoon is waiting.
Raspberry Vanilla Swirl Oatmeal
- Wisk together milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a medium sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add oats and flax seed; continue cooking on low for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and mixture is creamy.
- Remove from head and stir in raspberry preserves.
- Pour between two bowls and sprinkle walnuts and blueberries on top.
- Sweeten to taste with stevia or brown sugar.