Loaded with protein, fiber and nutrients along with walnuts packed with Omega 3’s, this oatmeal will keep your hunger at bay for hours.
Weekends are a slippery slope when it comes to eating. During the week, I am very good at consuming whole grains, fresh produce, lean protein and drinking lots of water. Then Friday rolls around and all hell breaks loose.
If you live in America, you probably spent this holiday weekend at a BBQ or pool party surround by chips, brats, and coleslaw. (Or was that just me?) Fortunately, today is a new day and this creamy bowl of oatmeal is the perfect way to start fresh. By adding milk, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, and fresh berries, this recipe is loaded with protein, fiber, and nutrients.
The walnuts are loaded with healthy fat and Omega-3’s which will keep your hunger at bay for hours. Talk about a bowl that packs a punch! Your body might even forgive you for what you did to it yesterday.
Your spoon is waiting.
Red, White and Blue Oatmeal
- In a small sauce pot, bring milk, water, vanilla and salt to a boil. (Do not walk away – boiling milk will overflow very quickly.)
- Add oats, walnuts, flax, wheat germ and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Divide into two bowls and top with fresh berries.
- Add a sprinkle of Stevia or brown sugar to taste.