Butternut squash is roasted until caramelized then tossed with sautéed Italian sausage, kale and whole wheat orecchiette pasta.
With a last name like Della Croce, it probably doesn’t surprise you that my Italian husband lives for pasta night. In fact, whenever I want to create a meal that I know will be a home run with my boys, it always involves pasta.
We all know we should eat whole wheat pasta for the added health benefits but I also happen to prefer the texture and flavor. Made with 100% organic whole wheat flour, our brand of choice has always been DeLallo.
In fact, most people who eat my pasta have no idea they’re eating whole wheat because of the way DeLallo mills their whole grains. After all, it doesn’t matter how healthy a dish is if no one will eat it.
Now that the weather is cooling down and the leaves are starting to turn, our farmers market stands are filled to the brim with winter squash including one of my favorites: butternut. Peeled then roasted until tender, it adds a bit of sweetness to the pasta which perfectly complements garlicky sausage and slightly bitter kale.
Of course, you all know I’m practically incapable of cooking sausage without its BFF kale so I had to toss in a few torn leaves for good measure. If you don’t think your children like dark leafy greens, try tossing them into warm pasta, drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling with freshly grated cheese. You’re almost guaranteed a clean plate.
My kids love orecchiette (which means “little ears” in Italian) but DeLallo has 14 other cuts of whole wheat pasta for you to choose from. We love butternut squash but acorn or delicate would work well too. No kale on hand? Try spinach or Swiss charge. Whatever you do, just get in the kitchen with your family and make it your own.
What is your favorite cut of pasta? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Butternut Squash, Sausage and Kale Pasta
- 1 pound DeLallo whole wheat orecchiette pasta
- 1 cups medium butternut squash (peeled and diced – about 4)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoons salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (divided)
- 6 links Italian sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 4 cups kale (roughly torn)
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place butternut squash cubes in a resealable plastic bag and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Toss well and scatter in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast squash until tender and golden brown, about 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- While squash is roasting, prepare orecchiette pasta according to package instructions reserving 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid; set pasta and cooking liquid aside.
- Heat a large, deep pan over medium-high heat and coat with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Remove sausage from casings and add to pan. Use a large wooden spoon to break up the sausage and begin browning the meat.
- Stir in grated garlic when sausage is about halfway cooked through. Continue to cook until sausage is cooked through, stirring frequently, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add reserved starchy cooking liquid and use a wooden spoon to deglaze brown bits from bottom of the pan.
- Stir in torn kale and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until kale is bright green, about 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in roasted butternut squash, cooked pasta, Parmigiano-Reggiano and minced parsley. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with additional fresh minced parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano if you wish.
Disclosure: This recipe is in partnership with DeLallo. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more healthy and easy dinners, check out my Healthy Entrees board!
36 thoughts on “Roasted Butternut Squash, Sausage and Kale Pasta”
So glad you enjoyed it!
I’m not quite sure what was off about this recipe, but it was very “meh.” I was sorely disappointed. I used sweet sausage, and I think perhaps it was just too bland for me. I might try it again with spicy sausage.
Oh no! That’s a bummer… we eat and love this all the time. Have you tried adding chili flakes to your paste before eating? Also a little extra salt or toasted fennel seeds is always good.
Yep! I ended up adding chili flakes to the sausage when I was cooking it, and I added some to the pasta after I tried it too. :(
My husband said it tasted better as leftovers the next day.
Well that’s good to hear! Sorry it wasn’t as expected!!
I made it with hot Italian sausage. My husband and I thought it was quite good. Will definitely be making it again. Thank you.
Loved this recipe! It’s perfect for fall. I used mild Italian turkey sausage and followed the rest of the recipe exactly. I will definitely be saving this recipe!
Oh I’m so glad – it’s one of my favorite dishes!!
Fantastic recipe! Thanks! It came together so nicely and easily.
So glad you enjoyed it Esther! BTW My first name is Esther – I go by my middle name Elizabeth. :)
Obviously you know I love this recipe. ;) Fall perfection!
Now if only butternut squash peeled itself right??
Peeled, diced butternut squash may or may not be my new favorite Costco item. ;)
Why have I never bought that before?!?! Genius!
This pasta looks out of this world! Love the addition of butternut squash. It’s so fall and totally my type of pasta dish….yum!
I want you to come over and eat some with me!
My son was just asking me to make something with butternut squash…won’t he be excited when I make him this! This looks fantastic!!
Ahh I hope he loves it! My boys did!
What a perfect Fall meal – love the kale and butternut squash in this one dish meal!
There is just nothing better this time of year is there?
Hearty, healthy, flavorful and fabulous!!! Perfect autumn entree!
Thank you so much Liz! Happy October!!
This pasta looks fantastic, Liz! I love the butternut squash and kale in here! So comforting and perfect for fall!
Thank you so much Kelly – bring on the fall flavors!!
With so much kale in the garden I’m always looking for new recipes, so thanks in advance for this!
Kale is still growing like weeds here in Michigan so I am finding it at all the farmers markets!! I am always looking for new ways to use it, especially ways like pasta which is always a hit with the boys.
GAH! I love everything about this post Liz! I am such a fan of DeLallo pastas and pasta dishes in general!Anytime I want a comforting dish I also turn to pasta, so your hubby and kids are on to something ;) Definitely going to be making this stat!
There really is nothing more comforting than pasta is there? I know my husband doesn’t think so. Thanks lady!
Ooh yummy!! This looks really good!
I hope you try it and love it!
I just fell in love with roasted butternut squash a few weeks ago. I think because my grocery store is now cutting it up and selling in these packages all ready for me. Plus all the seasonings I’ve been putting on them, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, black pepper…I’ve been eating everyday with some chicken for lunches. So glad to see this recipe come in my email! Now I can make this next week. The family won’t eat it but I surely will! I cannot have pasta everyday so I’ll figure something out. Thank you Liz!!
Oh my gosh that’s awesome your store sells it all cut up!! What a time savor! Good for you making it all the time – it really is such a healthy, nutritious super food! I hope you love it – let me know what you think! Also if you ever need more ideas for Butternut Squash, check out my full collection of recipes: https://thelemonbowl.com/tag/butternut-squash
Love the idea of using butternut squash in this recipe! And that pasta looks so yummy!
It’s also great with white beans instead of sausage!
I have a butternut squash on my counter…and it’s begging to be used in this pasta!
Yes it is girl!!! Don’t you just love butternut squash season?