Butternut squash is roasted until caramelized then tossed with sautéed Italian sausage, kale and whole wheat orecchiette pasta.
With a last name like Della Croce, it probably doesn’t surprise you that my Italian husband lives for pasta night. In fact, whenever I want to create a meal that I know will be a home run with my boys, it always involves pasta.
We all know we should eat whole wheat pasta for the added health benefits but I also happen to prefer the texture and flavor. Made with 100% organic whole wheat flour, our brand of choice has always been DeLallo.
In fact, most people who eat my pasta have no idea they’re eating whole wheat because of the way DeLallo mills their whole grains. After all, it doesn’t matter how healthy a dish is if no one will eat it.
Now that the weather is cooling down and the leaves are starting to turn, our farmers market stands are filled to the brim with winter squash including one of my favorites: butternut. Peeled then roasted until tender, it adds a bit of sweetness to the pasta which perfectly complements garlicky sausage and slightly bitter kale.
Of course, you all know I’m practically incapable of cooking sausage without its BFF kale so I had to toss in a few torn leaves for good measure. If you don’t think your children like dark leafy greens, try tossing them into warm pasta, drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling with freshly grated cheese. You’re almost guaranteed a clean plate.
My kids love orecchiette (which means “little ears” in Italian) but DeLallo has 14 other cuts of whole wheat pasta for you to choose from. We love butternut squash but acorn or delicate would work well too. No kale on hand? Try spinach or Swiss charge. Whatever you do, just get in the kitchen with your family and make it your own.
What is your favorite cut of pasta? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Butternut Squash, Sausage and Kale Pasta
- 1 pound DeLallo whole wheat orecchiette pasta
- 1 cups medium butternut squash peeled and diced – about 4
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoons salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- 6 links Italian sausage sweet or spicy
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 4 cups kale roughly torn
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place butternut squash cubes in a resealable plastic bag and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Toss well and scatter in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast squash until tender and golden brown, about 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- While squash is roasting, prepare orecchiette pasta according to package instructions reserving 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid; set pasta and cooking liquid aside.
- Heat a large, deep pan over medium-high heat and coat with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Remove sausage from casings and add to pan. Use a large wooden spoon to break up the sausage and begin browning the meat.
- Stir in grated garlic when sausage is about halfway cooked through. Continue to cook until sausage is cooked through, stirring frequently, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add reserved starchy cooking liquid and use a wooden spoon to deglaze brown bits from bottom of the pan.
- Stir in torn kale and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until kale is bright green, about 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in roasted butternut squash, cooked pasta, Parmigiano-Reggiano and minced parsley. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with additional fresh minced parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano if you wish.
Disclosure: This recipe is in partnership with DeLallo. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more healthy and easy dinners, check out my Healthy Entrees board!