These rosemary spiced mixed nuts are the perfect combination of salty, spicy and sweet and make a great, easy appetizer or healthy snack. Ready in less than 30 minutes.
The holiday season is in full force and like you, I’d love to fit into my jeans come January 1st. Do I plan to skip every party or chew celery sticks like a Sad Sally all season? No way. My rule of thumb this time of year, and always, is quite simple: fill my plate with foods that come from the ground or have a mother. To quote Jillian Michaels, “I don’t know about you but I did not grow up with a Cheeto’s tree in my backyard.” Good point Jill. Are my Rosemary Spiced Nuts calorie free? No. But I firmly believe that you will do less overall damage to your body and health by eating a handful of nuts than, say, mini hot dogs wrapped in Crescent rolls.
As always, feel free to add any spices you wish. Want to turn the heat up a bit? Add in more cayenne. Want to warm it up? Throw in a little cumin. No matter what combination of spices and flavorings, this tasty little snack will be a huge hit at any party or gathering. The best part? Kept in an air-tight container, they will last at least 2 weeks. Keep a small bag in your car or purse to avoid a Cinna-bun meltdown at the mall or post-workout starvation binge.
So the next time you’re at a party trying to weigh out your options, ask yourself this: does it have a mother or come from the ground? If yes – go ahead and indulge.
Rosemary Spiced Mixed Nuts
- 8 oz raw walnuts
- 8 oz unsalted peanuts
- 8 oz raw almonds
- 1.5 tbs unsalted butter melted
- 5 tbs fresh rosemary finely minced
- 1.5 tbs brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne
- 1.5 tbs fine sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix raw nuts with butter and lay flat on baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 minutes, until nuts start to toast, stirring every 5 minutes or so to ensure even cooking.
- Meanwhile, combine rosemary, sugar, cayenne and sea salt in the bowl you mixed the nuts with the butter.
- Add roasted nuts and toss well. Serve warm or store in air-tight container.