Ideal for prepping ahead of time, this protein-packed sausage, kale and feta frittata is delicious served warm, room temperature or chilled.
Breakfast is a pretty big deal here in our house as I imagine it is in any home filled with hungry little ones. I swear my boys could easily eat three breakfasts before we even head out the door to preschool in the morning.
To save time and avoid stress during busy weekdays, I always try to prep a healthy, protein-packed breakfast over the weekend to eat during the week. This fast and easy frittata recipe is made with all natural al fresco chicken sausages which are pre-cooked and made with just a few simple ingredients you can pronounce.
For added nutrients and fiber, I add in sautéed kale then sprinkle the whole pan with crumbled feta before finishing it off in the oven. At just a little over 150 calories and 12 grams of protein per serving, it’s just the fuel I need to get through my workout and the rest of my busy day. As an added bonus, my kids eat it with their hands like a slice of pie. No mess = happy mommy.
What are your favorite protein-packed breakfast recipes? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Your fork is waiting.
Sausage and Kale Frittata
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 links Al Fresco Country Style Chicken Sausage – sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- fresh dill – optional garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add kale along with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until kale is bright green and just wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and milk. Fold in chicken sausage.
- Pour mixture on top of the kale in the skillet and heat, without stirring, until the eggs start to set, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top then bake in the oven until eggs are cooked through and fully set, about 6-8 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped dill and serve immediately or let cool and keep in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
For more Healthy Breakfast Ideas, head over to Pinterest!