Ideal for prepping ahead of time, this protein-packed sausage, kale and feta frittata is delicious served warm, room temperature or chilled.
Breakfast is a pretty big deal here in our house as I imagine it is in any home filled with hungry little ones. I swear my boys could easily eat three breakfasts before we even head out the door to preschool in the morning.
To save time and avoid stress during busy weekdays, I always try to prep a healthy, protein-packed breakfast over the weekend to eat during the week. This fast and easy frittata recipe is made with all natural al fresco chicken sausages which are pre-cooked and made with just a few simple ingredients you can pronounce.
For added nutrients and fiber, I add in sautéed kale then sprinkle the whole pan with crumbled feta before finishing it off in the oven. At just a little over 150 calories and 12 grams of protein per serving, it’s just the fuel I need to get through my workout and the rest of my busy day. As an added bonus, my kids eat it with their hands like a slice of pie. No mess = happy mommy.
What are your favorite protein-packed breakfast recipes? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Your fork is waiting.
Sausage and Kale Frittata
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 10 eggs
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 links Al Fresco Country Style Chicken Sausage – sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- fresh dill – optional garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add kale along with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until kale is bright green and just wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and milk. Fold in chicken sausage.
- Pour mixture on top of the kale in the skillet and heat, without stirring, until the eggs start to set, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top then bake in the oven until eggs are cooked through and fully set, about 6-8 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped dill and serve immediately or let cool and keep in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
For more Healthy Breakfast Ideas, head over to Pinterest!
This taste amazing!!! It’s one of our new favorites. ????
I want to say thank you for providing us with so many yummy, yet healthy dishes throughout the week! I do pretty much
ALL my meal planning with your recipes! Thanks! ♥️
Awww it is my pleasure. I’m so glad you enjoyed this one!!! Let me know what other recipes you try!
I love the idea of prepping a breakfast for the week over the weekend. This recipe looks like a great place to start!
It was so good and EASY to make Jamie!
Breakfasts are a huge thing in my house too (even without kids) :) I love simple recipes like this one, thanks for sharing Liz! I’m so grateful that my mom always made sure we had a nutritious breakfast before school, this post made me remember that. Your kids are so blessed :)
Aww thank you so much for your sweet words Liv!! You are too kind!!
We love that sausage! and my kids can eat 3 breakfasts before school too, lol. So funny! Beautiful frittata!
Girl I know you do!!!! It’s so yummy!!! xoxox
I’m all about proein in the morning. it’s the only way I have energy as a mom!
That’s the absolute truth girl! Hope you and the baby are doing well!! xoxoxo
Sooooo……truth? I have never made a frittata! GASP. But I’m thinking this version with sausage and kale is a good place to start.
Dude. You have GOT to make one! yours would be off the charts!!
Kale yea!! :)
Frittatas are one of my absolute favorite breakfasts, and this recipe sounds amazing! No wonder your little ones gobble so much down ;)
Every time I make them I wonder why I don’t make them more often!
Such a beautiful frittata! What a great way to start a morning!
Thank you my sweet friend!!
this sounds like a delicious and filling breakfast! I love al fresco chicken sausage!!
Isn’t it the best?? So good for you!
Dear Liz, what a delicious frittata. A perfect dish any time of day! I would love a slice this morning in fact. xo, Catherine
I wish I could send you a slice!