Satisfy your carb cravings with this healthy pasta dish filled with flavor-packed Italian sausage, eggplant and kale.
Last week I gave you a glimpse inside a typical Door to Door Organics order so today I’m sharing a quick and easy recipe that uses a few items from our box. After chatting with several friends, I quickly learned that my family probably eats more fruits and vegetables than the typical American family. Trust me, I get it.
So, I figured that if I was going to take the time to recommend signing up for a weekly produce delivery service, it only makes sense that I also show you HOW to use up all of those gorgeous fruits and vegetables. After all, the key to being able to maintain long term healthy eating habits is having the tools and knowledge to put those good intentions into actions.
Today’s recipe is more of a method than a specific guideline. As always, I encourage you to mix and match with whatever you have on hand. We happened to order spicy organic pork sausage through Door to Door Organics but you are welcome to swap it out with chicken sausage, turkey sausage, you name it. Kale and eggplant work really well in this pasta but so would mushrooms, zucchini, or asparagus.
Make it your own and have fun getting in the kitchen.
Your fork is waiting.
Sausage, Eggplant and Kale Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta or pasta of choice
- 12 ounces uncooked Italian pork sausage or turkey/chicken sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 eggplant skin on & cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 4 cups torn kale we used purple kale but any type works
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions reserving 1 cup of starchy cooking liquid.
- Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high and spray with cooking spray. Add sausage and begin to break down with a wooden spoon while it browns, 8-10 minutes. Remove browned sausage from pan and set aside.
- To the warm pan, add olive oil and garlic. Heat for 30 seconds before adding eggplant. salt and chili flakes. Sauté eggplant until softened, 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add reserved pasta cooking liquid and use wooden spoon to scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in kale and cook 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Return cooked sausage and pasta to the pan and cook until heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan and parsley before serving. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.