These delicious savory waffles are filled with sharp cheddar and minced chives then topped with a perfectly fried egg.
There are a few foods I could never live without and eggs remain on the top of that list. Versatile, protein-packed and loaded in vitamins and nutrients, I rarely go a day without eating several.
For a fun twist on the usual breakfast, I decided to swap out toast with a savory cheddar chive waffle. I used extra sharp cheddar to give each bite a flavor punch and lots of cheesy goodness.
Chives are folded into the waffle batter and sprinkled on top right before serving. We like our eggs sunny side up for dipping the waffle into but feel free to cook them to order however you prefer.
What are your favorite waffle mix-ins and toppings? I’d love to hear a few new ideas.
Your fork is waiting.
5-Ingredient Cheddar and Chive Waffles with a Fried Egg
- 1 cup waffle mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic High Fiber)
- 10 eggs (divided)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup minced chives plus extra for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix together waffle mix with 2 of the eggs and the canola oil. Stir in shredded cheese and minced chives.
- Pour batter into pre-heated waffle maker and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown.
- While waffles are cooking, fry eggs to desired doneness and serve on top of waffles along with a sprinkle of extra chives.