I love snacking. Whether it’s a quick bite after a workout or a mid-afternoon nibble, I am all about a healthy snack. If you follow me on instagram, you know how much I love Blue Diamond Almonds so when they asked me to write a post on snacks that make us feel good for summer, I was immediately on board. Not only is snacking another excuse to eat something tasty but it’s good for you, too.
I’ve never worn a bikini in my life and I’m certainly not going to start this summer (kudos to the pregnant mamas brave enough to wear two pieces!) but I am all about feeling good for the season, bare arms, legs and all! Here are a few reasons snacking can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle:
Helps Stabilize Blood Sugar: By eating every 4 hours or so, you prevent your blood sugar from crashing. A healthy snack between lunch and dinner is a great way to help stabilize blood sugar levels (and prevent you from coming home from work ravenous and accidentally eating a bag of chips before dinner.)
Eating for Two: Now that I’m expecting, my body tells me when it’s hungry every 2-3 hours. Of course, it’s often in the form of nausea but for good reason! The growing baby demands additional nutrients and snacking on a regular basis can help prevent nausea, heart burn and that common feeling of being overly full.
Fuel for Workouts: Whether you’re a professional athlete or a 30 minute a day walker, exercise puts increased nutritional demands on your body so it’s important to fuel your body with healthy snacks to give you the energy for your next workout.
Now that we know WHY we should be snacking, let’s talk about WHAT we should be eating! When putting together a snack, I use a simple formula: Produce + Fat + Protein. If a snack contains all three of those elements, you will get a good balance of nutrients that will fuel your body without empty calories.
Savory Snack Ideas:
- String cheese (fat and protein) + cherry tomatoes (produce)
- Hummus (fat and protein) + veggies (produce)
- Ezekiel bread (protein) + avocado slices (fat and produce)
- Sharp cheddar cheese (fat and protein) + apple slices (produce)
- Black bean dip (produce and protein) + baked tortilla chips (fat)
- Roasted eggplant and bean dip (produce, protein and fat) + almond nut-thins (fat and protein)
Sweet Snack Ideas:
- Homemade granola bars (protein, fat and produce)
- Whole Natural almonds (fat and protein) + dried apricots (produce)
- Fruit smoothies (protein, fat and produce) – half portion to keep calories between 200-250
- Microwave baked apple (produce) drizzled with vanilla yogurt (fat and protein)
- Natural peanut butter (fat and protein) + carrot sticks (produce)
- Greek yogurt (fat and protein) with berries (produce)
What are your favorite snacks that help you feel good for summer? I’d love to hear from you!