Sweet apples and tart cranberries come together in this mouth-watering slow cooker apple cranberry sauce. Stir into yogurt, drizzle over ice cream or serve with potato pancakes.
Growing up in a mixed-religion household, I had the good fortune of learning how to make my Papa Leo’s famous Traditional Potato Latkes while simultaneously sipping eggnog by the Christmas tree. Don’t hate.
In similar fashion, now that we’ve covered Mexican Hot Chocolate for your cozy fire-side gatherings, it’s time for the next installment of Holiday Sizzle 2014: the Hanukkah dinner party!
My lovely and talented friend Abby has your table setting covered and I’m excited to share a twist on the classic potato latke accompaniment: Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Sauce.
The tart berries and crisp apples are a match made in heaven and provide the perfect balance to the creamy sour cream and crispy potato pancakes.
Even if you don’t celebrate Hanukkah, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t enjoy a fried potato in pancake form. You can hand-grate the potatoes and onions with a box grater or save time but pulsing them through a food processor.
Here are a few of my Papa Leo’s secrets to perfect potato latkes every time:
- Grate the Potatoes: Whatever you do, please do not shred the potatoes. These are not hash browns, folks. Grating both the potatoes and the onions produces the best end result and the ideal pancake consistency.
- Remove Excess Liquid: It is imperative that you remove any excess liquid that forms while you are grating the potatoes and onions. When I’m finished with all the grating, I like to use a kitchen towel to absorb any liquid that has formed, pushing down on all of the potatoes and onions.
- Salt Quickly: Within 10 seconds from removing the potato pancakes from the oil, sprinkle them with a generous pinch of Kosher salt. Just like any fried food (think potato chips, fried chicken, etc.), you must season them within a few seconds so that the oil is still hot allowing the salt to stick to the food.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Sauce
- 4 apples core removed roughly chopped
- 3 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and heat on Low for 6 hours or High for 3 hours.
- Serve chunky as is or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.