An easy, one-pot meal, your entire home will fill with aromas of cinnamon, garlic and rendered butter while this Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetables practically cooks itself.
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is to take the best recipes from my childhood and turn them into an easy, weeknight meal. While these family classics aren’t exactly difficult, they can be a bit time consuming and require a bit too much hands-on time for my liking.
With two very active boys always getting into trouble, I have been relying on the slow cooker more than ever before. In fact, I pretty much always have to lock Jacob into the high chair if I need more than a minute in the kitchen because he is moving around so quickly these days! It’s too bad they aren’t cute. Or smiley.
The inspiration for this dish is my mom’s famous roast chicken made with a good sprinkle of cinnamon. As the dish cooks, the entire house permeates of roasted chicken and warm cinnamon. It is to die for.
My mom typically makes this with olive oil but I was feeling a little naughty and decided to use some of my Aunt Paula’s famous clarified butter that she gifts us every year at Christmas.
As the chicken roasts, the vegetables on the bottom are seasoned with all of the cinnamon-and-butter-spiked juices of the bird. Whole garlic cloves slowly caramelize into sweet and tender roasted bites of goodness.
If you have two slow cookers, I highy suggest making a double batch. There won’t be leftovers.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetables
- Toss the sweet potato chunks, onion wedges and garlic cloves in the bottom of a slow cooker and sprinkle with half of the Lebanese spice blend (1 tablespoon).
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub the chicken all over with the clarified butter.
- Sprinkle the remaining Lebanese spice blend (or cinnamon) all over the chicken so that all pieces are evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 Hours or High for 4 Hours.
- Serve with fresh parsley on top.