Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas are an easy slow cooker dinner recipe full of fresh Mexican flavors. Ideal for prepping ahead of time and freezer friendly!
People often think of slow cooker recipes as a fall or winter dish but we actually love using our slow cooker in the summer months as well. When it’s super hot and humid outside the last thing I want to do is stand behind a hot stove or heat up our kitchen with an oven.
More often than not, the slow cooker saves the day and it was no exception recently when I turned my husband’s favorite Mexican dish into a slow cooker recipe: chicken fajitas! (For those of you who have been reading my blog for a long time, my husband still doesn’t love Mexican food but for some reason he likes fajitas. I don’t get it either.)
The recipe couldn’t be easier: you simply fill the bottom of your slow cooker with peppers (we like orange and yellow), onions and boneless chicken breasts. Then, season to taste with your favorite spices such as cumin, garlic powder, smoke paprika, etc.
Beer adds a great depth of flavor in the slow cooking process but if you want to keep it out just swap with chicken broth.
No forks required.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 20 ounces chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 sweet bell peppers (any color) (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 large yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 8 ounces beer (or chicken stock)
- flour tortillas (to serve)
- cilantro, sour cream, guacamole (optional toppings)
- Line the bottom of a slow cooker with the chicken breasts, peppers and onions. Sprinkle with the spices (cumin through cayenne) then pour in beer.
- Heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours. Shred chicken with two forks and serve with warmed flour tortillas and toppings of choice.
Check out my Pinterest board for more healthy Mexican recipes!
2 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas”
This slow cooker Chicken Fajitas looks very yummy. Thanks for sharing the delicious recipe.
I hope you love it!