Save time with this simple Slow Cooker Shredded Beef. Juicy, flavorful and easy to make, you will love having this beef on hand all week long.
I’m not sure if it’s because spring is taking its dear sweet time to arrive or because my life has never been busier, but my love for slow-cooked foods has never been stronger. There was a time when I only used my slow cooker a few times a year but these days, it is my favorite time-saving tool in the kitchen.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef could not be more flavorful or any easier to make. To start, you put together a quick spice rub made with ingredients you have in your pantry such as garlic powder, cumin and dried oregano. Feel free to make a double or triple batch of this spice blend to use the next time you make fajitas, tacos or chili.
For added charred goodness, I love using fire roasted tomatoes. I’m not sure what it is but I’m incapable of slow cooking beef roasts without a tomato product of some sort.
For added depth of flavor, I like to cook the roast in beer. Much of the alcohol burns over during the long cook time but the deep, rich flavors of the beer will provide subtle background notes in every single bite. Feel free to swap it with beef broth to keep the dish alcohol free.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef tastes delicious on it’s own (my husband’s favorite way of eating it) but I love using it all week long in Mexican soups, tacos, salads, chili, quesadillas and more.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
- 3 pound beef roast such as bottom round or chuck
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 large onion sliced
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces beer such as porter or IPA
- cilantro optional garnish
- Mix together all of the spices (cumin through chili flakes) and rub spice blend evenly on the beef roast. Cover spice-rubbed roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, place onion slices on the bottom of the slow cooker insert then top with beef roast, diced tomatoes and beer.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Shred with two forks before serving an garnish with cilantro if you wish.