Ham and Spanish chorizo gives this fast and easy slow cooker soup a rich, smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the tender vegetables and creamy split peas.
Diamonds might be a girl’s best friend but I’d like to suggest that a perfectly sharpened chefs knife is a close second. In fact, for my recent 34th birthday my husband took all of my cherished knives to a local shop to have them professionally sharpened – some for the first time in over 10 years. Cooking dinner has never been so thrilling!
Just like a good boot camp class or a long walk outdoors, slicing and dicing is one of my favorite forms of therapy. After a long day, there is nothing I love more than preparing dinner and I can’t think of anything more relaxing than a pile of produce, a laser-sharp knife and a good cutting board. A glass of wine doesn’t hurt either.
If you’ve ever felt lacking in the knife department or simply want to hone your skills, I have an exciting opportunity to share with all of you! I’ve partnered with Craftsy, the experts of online learning, to offer you a free class on Essential Knife Skills.
As a champion of healthy eating, I have always believed that most people want to eat better but don’t always have the necessary skills and techniques to feel confident in the kitchen. In the Complete Knife Skills class, Brendan McDermott, a professional culinary instructor, will walk you through all of the basic slice and dice varieties.
Not only will he show you how to properly dice an onion but he is full of little tips and tricks such as the secret to avoiding all of those onion fumes that make you tear up while cooking. No goggles required.
Since you get to take this class from the comfort of your own home, I’m sharing an easy recipe that will let you put all of those freshly prepared vegetables to good use.
My Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Chorizo & Ham is full of smoky flavor and bursting with hearty vegetables. Ideal for freezing, packing for lunches or served for dinner with crusty bread, you won’t want to miss this easy and fast soup recipe.
Your knife is waiting.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo dried sausage (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces cooked ham (cubed)
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 6 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- Heat chorizo in a large saute pan (or oven-safe slow cooker insert) over medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes allowing the oils to release.
- Add diced onion to the pan and cook with the chorizo until tender, 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add to the slow cooker.
- Stir all remaining ingredients into the slow cooker (ham through cayenne) and heat on Low for 8 Hours or High for 4 Hours.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Garnish with fresh parsley.