Have you ever found yourself in the middle of a crazy week night with absolutely nothing planned for dinner by the time 5 o’clock rolls around? That has never happened to me personally but I hear it is a real bother. I’m kidding. Not only has it happened to me on more than one occassion but today I’m sharing one of my favorite go-to “dinners from the pantry.” I promise it is faster than ordering pizza and you’ll be able to save that money for, say, an ice cream run after dinner. (Not that I’ve ever…)
Tuna, a sandwich staple, gets kicked up a notch with the help of a few flavor enhancers including bright lemon zest, salty capers and fresh Italian parsley. Any type of pasta will work but you get much more bang for your buck with whole wheat pasta. As you’ve probably learned by now, whole wheat pasta contains protein and fiber which takes longer to digest helping to keep you and your family fuller, longer.
Your fork is waiting.
Pasta with Tuna, Tomatoes and Capers
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti rigatone or penne work well too
- ½ tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes diced
- 1 in can tuna water drained, about 5 oz
- 2 tbs capers rinsed
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- ¼ c Italian parsley chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside reserving ½ cup warm cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan and add red chili flakes.
- Stir in fire roasted tomatoes and tuna being sure to break up tuna with a fork.
- Bring to a simmer and add capers and lemon zest.
- Add spaghetti and cook until heated. Feel free to add in a little reserved starchy cooking liquid if needed.
- Check for seasoning and add salt/pepper to taste if needed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.