Fresh mint and bright lemon are the perfect pair for sweet tea.
Grab your party hat and throw on your prettiest dress because today we are throwing a Sweet Southern Boy Virtual Baby Shower for my dear friend Nikki! She and her beautiful family are expecting their second son next month and I couldn’t be more thrilled for them.
Nikki and I had the opportunity to meet last year when she drove her family across the country to attend Taste of Michigan. (That’s her with the white jacket and the sassy boots!) As it turns out, she grew up just 30 minutes away from me here in Grand Rapids. From the minute she arrived to the farmer’s market I was drawn in to her gorgeous eyes, vibrant personality and beaming smile. She was newly pregnant and truly glowing.
In addition to our Michigan connection, we also share a major love of Middle Eastern food because her husband is Syrian just like me! From cabbage rolls to sfeehas (meat pies) to stuffed kusa – we both can’t get enough. This past Valentine’s Day when most Americans were dining on steak and lobster, my girl Nikki was making her hubby a Syrian feast — she’s truly a woman after my own heart!!
Last but not least, did you know she’s famous? She recently interviewed First Lady Michelle Obama and got to hang out with Rachael Ray… no bigs.
HAPPY BABY SHOWER NIKKI!! You’re my sista from another mista and I am so excited for this new chapter in your life!!
- 12 tea bags such as Lipton black tea
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup mint infused simple syrup recipe below
- 1 lemon
- club soda
- ice cubes
- mint sprigs garnish
- slices lemon garnish
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 12 mint sprigs stem on
- Place tea bags in the bottom of a large pitcher and cover with boiling water. Let steep for 30 minutes.
- While tea is steeping, make the mint infused simple syrup by pouring boiling water over sugar and mint sprigs. Stir with a fork to dissolve sugar and gently press on mint leaves to release flavor and natural oils. Allow syrup to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Once tea has steeped, remove tea bags and add 3 quarts of cold water. Strain the simple syrup to remove the mint sprigs and add to the tea.
- Juice half of the lemon and add to the tea. Slice the remaining half for garnish.
- To serve, fill glasses with ice and fill 2/3 of the way with tea. Top each glass off with a splash of club soda and garnish with a lemon slice and extra mint sprigs.
For easy removal of the tea bags, tie all 12 together in a knot before adding to the pitcher. Want to kick this recipe up a notch? Splash in a bit of vodka before serving. Sweet tea or citron flavors would be great.