The freezer is your friend when it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Today’s recipe was inspired by one of my freezer favorites: frozen veggie burgers. Pop it in the microwave for a minute and lunch is done. Here are a few other items I keep on hand in the freezer all year-round:
- Frozen Fruit: Most recently, I froze ripe Michigan strawberries from a friend’s farm. When berry season is long gone, my smoothies will still taste like Summer.
- Pesto: Basil season is the perfect time to make a big batch of pesto and freeze in individual portions in an ice cube tray. Remove from tray and keep for several months in a plastic resealable bag.
- Chipotle in Adobo: If you’ve ever added chipotles in adobo to a recipe, you most likely end up with leftover peppers in the can. To save the leftovers, mince the remaining peppers and save in a sandwich-sized zip lock baggie.
- Frozen Spinach: The amount of spinach required to create those perfect little frozen squares of healthy, leafy greens is well worth the cost. Add to pastas or soups all year long (such as my Lemony Lentil Soup with Greens.)
Your fork is waiting.
Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
- 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbs water
- 1 c red pepper (minced)
- ⅓ c cilantro – minced (minced)
- 2 tbs scallions – minced (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 2 tbs chipotle peppers in adobo – minced (minced)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ c panko bread crumbs
- slices Avocado (optional garnish)
- Using a fork, carefully mash the beans with water until smooth.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Form burgers into four patties; set aside.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Spray with non-stick spray or drizzle with a little canola oil.
- Add burgers to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until warmed through.
- Serve with avocado slices.
I made these black bean burgers tonight with slight adjustments…BUT, they were so delicious. I’m currently eating plant based as much as possible; no meat at all. So, this was Perfect!! My husband, who is not plant based, said these were so good that he’d like them for his lunch everyday! Wow!! This was also my first attempt at making black bean burgers, so THANK YOU!
Oh my goodness i’m so glad to hear it!! Enjoy!!!
These burgers are so delicious! They have a nice smoky flavor, the red pepper rounds it out and the lemon juice brightens it up. I also like that you didn’t add corn – it is much better without it in my opinion.Thank you!!
I’m so glad you like them!!
I made these for the first time this morning! They were very, very moist but very tasty!! I think I might leave out the H2O next time!!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them!!!!