A crunchy, tangy and fragrant entree salad – your whole family will love this Thai-inspired chicken slaw with roasted peanuts.
When Dara first invited me to participate in the inaugural Healthy New Year 6-Week Challenge last Thanksgiving, I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I knew that I wanted to be involved. The truth is, I am passionate about anything that involves encouraging and supporting others looking to life a healthier lifestyle.
Over the last 6 weeks, a group reaching close to 700 strong gathered on Facebook to tackle a new challenge every week. Together, we mastered Hydration, Exercise, Portion Control, Whole Grains, Boosting Protein and Finding Balance. From helping new moms find ways to get active again to watching others break weight loss plateaus and everything in between, you name it, we achieved it together in this supportive and encouraging online community.
To say that I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished in the last 6 weeks is an understatement. Personally, I’ve never felt happier, healthier or more balanced in my life. A huge thank you to the hundreds of active participants as well as the generous sponsors who made the event possible: Blendtec, Sabra, QSquared NYC, Bob’s Red Mill, Milk Means More and Lindt.
To help keep you in the spirit of healthy living, Thai Chicken Salad with Roasted Peanuts is one of my go-to weekday lunches. Perfect for prepping ahead on the weekends, I enjoy this Asian-inspired salad for lunches on a regular basis. The balance of salty, sour, spicy and sweet flavors will keep you excited and motivated about healthy eating. Because let’s be real, life is too short to eat a Lean Cuisine for lunch every day.
For a fast and easy healthy dinner, don’t miss Dara’s Maple Dijon Salmon Recipe.
Your fork is waiting.
Thai Chicken Salad
- 4 cups red cabbage (shredded)
- 2 cups carrots (shredded)
- 1 cup scallions (diced)
- 1 cup cucumber (sliced)
- ½ cup cilantro (minced)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breasts – sliced (rotisserie works well)
- 1 ounce dry-roasted peanuts – minced
- Place vegetables in a large bowl (cabbage through cucumber).
- Drizzle bowl with soy, rice vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, fish sauce and chili garlic paste. Toss well to combine then check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve slaw with equal parts chicken and minced roasted peanuts.