Sweet potato “noodles” are tossed with roasted artichokes and chicken to create this flavorful, guilt-free pasta dish.
If you love pasta but also love fitting into your skinny jeans, you are going to love today’s guest post from my friend Ali. Her blog, Inspiralized, is entirely dedicated to healthy and delicious recipes made with a spiralizer. If you aren’t familiar, it’s a handily little gadget that turns vegetables like sweet potatoes, zucchini, or even beets into beautiful noodles!
It’s that time again: the New Year! Time to make healthy resolutions and start the year off feeling light, fresh and energized.
Having said that, it’s often hard to keep those healthy eating or weight loss goals during the wintertime, as temperatures drop and we all crave warm and comforting meals, like pasta and noodle dishes.
Luckily, vegetables can be made into noodles to replace the carb and calorie-heavy wheat noodles – using a spiralizer, julienne or vegetable peeler. By replacing regular noodles with spiralized veggies, we can still enjoy the same great tastes of pasta, without breaking our New Year’s goals.
You may have heard of or even made zucchini noodles before, but zucchinis are not the only vegetables that can be made into noodles. By spiralizing different veggies, we can enjoy seasonal produce, such as carrots, beets, butternut squash, and in this case – sweet potatoes!
The sweet potatoes in this dish absorb the savory tomato sauce and the artichokes and chicken add protein and hearty nutrients to this sweet potato pasta.
Try this recipe to keep focused and on track of your goals – or just to simply continue eating healthily in the New Year!
Tomato Sweet Potato Noodles
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 boneless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (+ more to drizzle)
- 1 clove large garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp pinch red pepper flakes (about 1/4)
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and spiralized, 375g+)
- freshly chopped parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a baking tray, lay out the artichoke hearts and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of roasting the artichokes, place the chicken on a baking tray. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and massage into chicken skin. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bake the chicken and artichokes for the remaining 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, cut open the chicken breast. If the inside meat is no longer pink and juices run clear, the chicken is done. If not, cook another 5 minutes. Pull the chicken into strips and set aside, along with the artichokes.
- After you put the chicken into the oven, place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add in the tbsp of olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Let cook for 30 seconds and then add in the red onion. Cook the onion for 2 minutes and then add in the tomatoes, oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and then add in the sweet potato noodles. Toss everything to combine and place a lid on the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, uncover and toss the noodles and then cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the sweet potato noodles have reached your desired doneness.
- Once the noodles are done, uncover and add in the done artichokes and chicken. Toss to combine and plate onto two bowls. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!