A guide to all of my favorite travel essentials – perfect for flying or road tripping!
If I look back, it’s no surprise I have such fierce wanderlust today: I’ve been traveling frequently since I was a baby, have a four-year degree in Hospitality Administration, and have always preferred to spend any extra money I have on experiences before objects.
Travel sets my soul on fire. There’s no other way to describe it. That said, travel does take a lot of planning and preparation, especially if you want to stick with your healthy living goals while away.
In fact, that’s one of the biggest reasons I created my wellness travel series over a year ago, What to Eat & How to Burn it Off. I am determined to show that you can travel frequently and not fall off the wagon.
To date, we’ve visited 13 cities throughout North America including Chicago, Denver, Charleston, Tucson, New Orleans, Grand Rapids, San Diego, Vail, Miami, Utah and Banff.
Since I am a frequent traveler, I get quite a few questions about what’s in my travel bag so I thought I’d finally put together a recap of my top 9 essentials!
1. My good friend Katie turned me on to this Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick from the Sephora Collection. I love that it stays on my lips for hours, doesn’t wipe off on my water bottle and looks great in photos.
2. Ever since having babies, I’ve become a bit more sensitive to motion sickness. As a result, I always have Bonine chewable tablets in my bag as a precaution. They’re great if you’re on a cruise, traveling to a city with higher elevation or are stuck in the third row middle during a road trip.
3. People who know me well know that I never leave home without my trusty water bottle. I’ve been buying CamelBak water bottles for years because they don’t leak which is especially helpful when it tips over in my purse on a busy travel day. Added bonus? My 3 and 6 year olds love using them too which keeps them hydrated.
4. Sunglasses are essential, this one is a no brainer! I don’t buy anything fancy, for fear of losing them, but I always find affordable pairs at Target and Ann Taylor Loft such as these adorable Tortoiseshell Print Square Sunglasses.
5. Nuts are always a good idea for a quick, shelf-stable boost of protein and healthy fats. I never leave home without a bag of peanuts, cashews or almonds. These have also saved me many times when I travel west and wake up at 4am before restaurants open for breakfast.
6. One of the most frequent items I get asked questions about when I travel is my Anker Portable Charger. Weighing less than a soup can, it charges the iPhone 7 almost seven times. So much easier than having to sit on the floor next to an outlet at the airport.
7. Of course, this one goes without explanation: gum. Trust me, the man squished next to you on the airplane will be grateful.
8. One of the newest additions to my travel bag is a brand new product from my friends at Lorissa’s Kitchen: 100% grass-fed beef sticks. These portable snacks come in three flavors: original, jalapeño and sweet & smoky. With 6 grams of protein and just 2 grams of sugar per serving, they are the ultimate healthy snack for on-the-go.
9. Last but not least, this music-loving gal never leaves home without a pair of ear buds. They’re great for listening to my favorite podcasts (I’m a huge fan of The Life Coach School) or Spotify jams (Drake for life.)
Now it’s your turn! What items do you never travel without? What are your top travel bag essentials? I’d love to hear from you!
Check out more healthy living posts on my Pinterest board!