Hearty turkey and bean chili is topped with a cool and creamy Sriracha Greek yogurt sauce.
Filled with protein-packed turkey, bell peppers and sweet corn, this warm and satisfying chili is the ideal late-summer, early fall dish. Topped with a cool, creamy and slightly spicy Sriracha yogurt sauce, try this chili as an ideal make-ahead lunch or a cozy fall dinner.
Of course, the star of this chili is the humble, yet beautiful orca bean, one of Bob’s Red Mill’s newest products discovered by my BFF Bob himself. Check out this cool video where Bob tells you his favorite way to enjoy them.
When my friends at Stonyfield challenged us to create a recipe using both yogurt and beans, I immediately knew I had to make soup. We love topping stews, soups and chilis with plain yogurt (regular or Greek!) because the tart, tanginess balances the spicy, savory flavors of the dish.
Plus, it is a great way to cool down dinner quickly so hungry toddlers don’t burn their tongues.
Speaking of yogurt, immediately after I visited with Bob’s Red Mill in Portland last month, I hopped on a red-eye to hang out with my friends at Stonyfield in New Hampshire for a crazy three-day four tour! Having toured many conventional dairy farms in the past, it was such a great opportunity to tour several organic dairy farms for the first time.
Once thing is certain, few people are harder working, more passionate or more dedicated to feeding our country than dairy farmers. Working 24/7 with no days off or holidays (cows have babies any time of day, any day of the year just like we do!), I am so grateful to all of the dairy farmers who give selflessly to feed America.
Luckily, we also had time for a bit of recreation during our visit to Portland, Maine. I hadn’t been kayaking in Casco Bay since college and it was so great to get back in that crystal blue water with new friends.
Enjoy the last few days of summer my friends and enjoy this chili!
Your spoon is waiting.
Turkey Chili with Sriracha Yogurt
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers seeded and diced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast or ground beef
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced & optional
- 2 tomatoes natural barbecue sauce such as Annie's Naturals
- 1/2 can beer can sub with chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce low sodium
- 2 cups cooked Bob's Red Mill Orca Beans prepared according to package instructions
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup Stonyfield plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha more or less to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large stock pot over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Sauté onion, garlic and peppers until they start to soft, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey and spices to the pan (cumin through pepper) and cook until turkey is browned, 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, chipotle peppers and BBQ sauce. Continue cooking until all liquid is absorbed and turkey is golden brown.
- Add beer to the pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze any browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes then bring pot to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cooked orca beans and corn.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or longer.
- While chili is simmering, mix together Sriracha and plain Greek yogurt in a small dish for serving.
- Divide chili between bowls and top with Sriracha Yogurt and any other toppings you wish (i.e. cilantro, scallions, etc.)
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Stonyfield brand ambassador and have been compensated for my time to develop this recipe in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. They hosted me during my visit to New England. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Need more fall favorites? You’ll definitely find something on my Soups board!