We all know that I love to cook. The only thing I love more than cooking itself is the opportunity to share my food with family and friends. One recipe that I get requests for year-round is my Sausage and Kale soup. The funny part? It is one of the most quick and easy recipes in my collection. Do you have a few picky eaters in your gang? This soup is the perfect way to incorporate kale into your family’s diet.
Kale is one of my favorite greens to cook with because it doesn’t simply melt into your dish. It has a unique, earthy flavor and is sturdy enough to handle high temperatures. The nutritional benefits of kale are countless. There are almost too many to list….but we all know I can’t resist naming a few. Kale is high in vitamin C, beta carotene and lutein. It is considered a powerful anti-oxidant and is widely believed to have cancer-fighting agents. Regardless, it tastes delicious and I’m confident your family will gobble up this hardy and satisfying soup. Your spoon is waiting.
Turkey Sausage, & Kale White Bean Soup
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb turkey sausage removed from casings, sweet or spicy
- 4 c chicken broth low sodium
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 small can cannellini beans rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper to release juices and season.
- Add turkey sausage and crumble with back of wooden spoon.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes or until browned.
- Do not be afraid to cook this sausage longer than you think needed. Brown crust = flavor.
- Add chicken broth to pan and use wooden spoon to loosen up brown pieces from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil then add kale, tomatoes and beans.
- Cook for 3-4 additional minutes.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty whole grain bread and sit back and smile while you watch your loved ones eat their antioxidants.
Want more easy and delicious soup ideas? Head over to my Pinterest Board for more tasty recipes!