Made with diced onion, peeled carrots, and warm curry, this Jamaican Style Vegan Chickpea Curry is the perfect healthy comfort food!
I don’t know about you, but as the weather begins to cool down I find myself craving warm, hearty meals. For example, my Jamaican Rice and Peas, Caribbean Fish Soup (Fish Tea), and Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops always hit the spot. Plus, the delicious Caribbean flavors transport me to a warm island instead of snowy Michigan. To complete the experience, I sometimes finish my night with this fresh and fruit Caribbean Rum Punch Cocktail!
If you’ve never made curry at home, you won’t believe how easy this Vegan Chickpea Curry is to make. Simply, heat coconut oil in a deep skillet. Then, chop your veggies, and cook them until they’re tender.
Next, add your remaining ingredients, bring the contents of the pan to a boil, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. To finish, garnish your dish with cilantro or scallions, and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal. Seriously, it’s that simple!
Why Eat Chickpeas?
Did you know that chickpeas are a nutritional powerhouse? Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are high in protein and fiber to help keep you full and satisfied. However, their consumption has also been shown to decrease the risk of diabetes, improve bone health, reduce cholesterol, and more!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Any oil or butter you prefer will work with this recipe. However, be aware of cooking temperatures! Oils containing higher levels of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats (such as olive and grapeseed oils) have lower cooking temperatures. Therefore, overheating can cause your food to burn.
Any vegetables you have on hand will work in this recipe! However, I recommend keeping the onion as it adds a great deal of flavor to the dish.
When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this dish is safe to eat up to five days. It’s the perfect meal prep recipe!
There are several methods that can be used to cook. I find the best method is to submerge them in water overnight before using. However, if you’re looking for a faster method, you can also use a quick boil method. To do so, place the chickpeas in a pot and cover with water. Then, bring them to a boil, turn off the heat, cover them, and leave them to sit for at least 30 minutes before use.
Your fork is waiting.
Vegan Chickpea Curry (Jamaican Style)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper minced, optional
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas either canned or cooked from dried
- minced scallions and cilantro optional garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 7-9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add Scotch bonnet and curry powder to the pan and stir until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in vegetable broth and chickpeas. Bring to a boil then reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Check for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper to taste before serving. Garnish with scallions or cilantro if you wish.